A&H

Frozen pitch

Townie

It's been rather cold around our way,

I've U12s tomorrow. Is it my job to turn up and check if it's all soft enough to play, or should I expect home team to get in touch and let me know?

Any advice on this for such a low level game?

The Referee Store
Its normally the home teams responsibility to confirm the suitability of the pitch. BUT. If you get there and deem it unsuitable the game does not get played.
Generally it is good practise to touch base with the home team to see if they have planned to check it... Might just remind them they need to.

At grass roots the letting authority will normally make the decision. Pitch inspections typically only come into play when they don't, or at higher levels where only a referee can make the decision to postpone a game.

If you do have to make the decision then put your boots on and run around on the pitch, including trying to change direction quickly. If you are struggling to change direction without losing your feet then so will the players, so call it off. Don't let anyone try to influence you in the decision.

You will get naysayers who are convinced they can play, especially those who throw out the “it’s hard in the summer” line, or claim that by running on it the ice will break up.

The biggest issues in winter are traction and ruts. Pavements are hard all year round, but more people need hospital treatment for falls in the winter because they slip. The same applies with a frozen pitch. It’s. It that it’s hard but as said above, keeping your footing is the issue.

For a frozen pitch, take a key and try to stick it in the ground.
No key in the ground = no game of football!
If it’s soft enough to allow a key to be pushed in then it’s generally soft enough to take a stud.

Find the worst bit of the pitch and give it a test!

Minus one tonight. Snow cleared😎. Artificial of course!

I’ve foolishly taken a bunch of outdoor matches in the winter league. Round my way there’s every chance of a minus 15 in a few weeks;)

For a frozen pitch, take a key and try to stick it in the ground.
No key in the ground = no game of football!
If it’s soft enough to allow a key to be pushed in then it’s generally soft enough to take a stud.

Find the worst bit of the pitch and give it a test!
That is really old school advice and I wouldn't recommend it. You won't be able to push a key into a hard pitch in Summer, or an astro pitch, but they are still playable.

That is really old school advice and I wouldn't recommend it. You won't be able to push a key into a hard pitch in Summer, or an astro pitch, but they are still playable.
Common sense will tell you not to try and stick anything into an artificial pitch.

Yes pitches are hard in the summer but they don’t lose the same risks that a frozen pitch do. Whilst it might old school, the properties of ice haven’t changed over the years! If the worst part of the pitch can take a key then it will also take a stud.

You will get naysayers who are convinced they can play, especially those who throw out the “it’s hard in the summer” line, or claim that by running on it the ice will break up.

The biggest issues in winter are traction and ruts. Pavements are hard all year round, but more people need hospital treatment for falls in the winter because they slip. The same applies with a frozen pitch. It’s. It that it’s hard but as said above, keeping your footing is the issue.
I had one parent dispute a postponement by me - "Its OK under that tree" he said as he pointed to said circle of ground about 50 yards away! :rolleyes:

Always worth checking competition rules. Local youth league I used to officiate on insists all games are called off in person by the match referee attending. Only exceptions are private grounds - ie clubs/schools where the owner can call off the games.

Ridiculous rule and just one of the reason I don't officiate for them any longer.

Always worth checking competition rules. Local youth league I used to officiate on insists all games are called off in person by the match referee attending. Only exceptions are private grounds - ie clubs/schools where the owner can call off the games.

Ridiculous rule and just one of the reason I don't officiate for them any longer.

Yep. Also, checking the competition rules will confirm whether or not the referee is still to be paid any sort of fee for turning up and making the decision. 😉

Just to add that artificial pitches can freeze too so the same rule applies to give it a run around, start slow so you don't hurt yourself :)

If the worst part of the pitch can take a key then it will also take a stud.
I'm not sure that's necessarily true. If you press a key down into the ground, all the force exerted is on a single piece of metal with a relatively small profile. With a boot, the weight is spread across 6 or more, often non-metallic points of contact. I'd say it's much more difficult for the multiple studs on a boot to penetrate a frozen surface than it is for a key.

For me, a much more realistic test is exactly as @RustyRef suggests above - go out there with football boots on and see if you have sufficient traction to stop and change direction safely, at speed.

Back