A&H

'Friendly'

Charlie Jones

Work Until You Don't Have To Introduce Yourself
G' morning Campers!

One has a small enquiry ...

I am refereeing my first (and only) pre-season game Sunday for a team one of my employees plays for, he was saying that the week before last their referee had said that a friendly is no longer allowed to be called a 'friendly' and is in actual fact something along the lines of a 'non league competitive match' or something? and is to do with the fact that YC and RC count in the league

anyone shed a bit of clearer light?

The Referee Store
The match is still non-competitive. Pre-season is about match fitness, not performances. He may be covering himself for the possibility of not being able to restrain himself from sending people off. Normal FA rules still apply but there is nothing at stake in these matches.

I thought that might be the case, just covering himself

wouldn't it be better to just say something like

'lads, I know today is a friendly but that doesn't mean I wont be using any cards ... lets treat this as a league fixture' ??

That would be a lot better, he is saying he knows it is a friendly but he will apply the laws of the game correctly. This will tell the players to act as if it was a normal fixture and not for them to think he will be lenient with them just because it is a friendly

I think I'm right to say that for most red card offences - i.e. where the player would get a standard 1 or 2 or 3 game ban - that if sent of in a friendly game - they are then suspended only for friendly games

PS @Charlie Jones - is this the game we were talking about !?

I remain silent as anything say may be used as evidence.

If the managers say the usual "as it's a friendly mate if they give you lip then I'll sub them i merely tell them that I will be refereeing a game of football the same as any other week and that means card will be used.

If no one asks dont say a word.

They will only hold it against you either way.

Not a comeback against you at all mate just learnt from experience that players will remember word for word what you said and find a way to use it against ya ;)

Back