A&H

Free kick in the area--subsequent anger

SLI39

Incident on Saturday morning on which I wouldn't mind some advice, thanks.
U15, Yellows vs. Reds
After bodies collide, I award a foul on the reds' goalkeeper from a corner; I retreat, only to see the keeper pass to a defender in the box for a quick free kick; keeper complains that attacker has remained inside; I blow and of course tell him that the free kick must leave the box to be in play regardless of others' presence; like the previous 100 players, he says that rule applies only for goal kicks (slightly surprising, as his team were of an excellent standard--division one--and the coaching staff among the most professional I've encountered on that league); I say it's a common misconception, blah, blah.
I blow for a restart, and an enthusiastic striker for yellows runs hell for leather to try to intercept; as he receives the ball the defender appears to shield off the striker and the latter goes flying (bearing in mind I have already spoken to these two in the first half without cautioning, so there's history); almost tempted to use get-out clause of saying didn't leave box again and calm things down there and then, but I go by my first instinct and play on; yellows are adamant that it was a foul (presumably for unfair charge). They're pretty unhappy, largely because we would be looking at DOGSO if I'd given the foul. I might have been wrong, but I just felt the defender cleverly turned, used his strength, so that the striker's own momentum carried him into the box. Do you think the defender/striker has done anything wrong here? Is it a matter of whether the ball is within playing distance? To be fair, yellows never strayed into dissent; all a bit of a storm in a teacup, and I felt in control thereafter.

The Referee Store
like you say the striker's momentum has taken him into contact with the defender, who has turned to shield the ball.... if the ball is within playing distance of the defender then he's absolutely entitled to do that... no foul, play on, up you get fella.
if the ball is not within playing distance there are other things to consider, was the ball out of the area at the time of impact? if not i think the correct restart would be a re-taken goal kick regardless of a foul either way ? ( open to correction of course !! )
and if it had left the PA did the player move into the path of the striker's direct access to the ball? if so IDFK ?
it sounds from your description that the ball had left the PA and was within playing distance of the defender, and therefore nothing doing....

Quite simple

Defender has control of the ball: play on

Defender no where near ball and moves to intercept striker: impeding and a FK. Could potentially book for it depending on circumstance. As far as Dogso goes, that's a bit tough as the attacker hasn't got the ball at any point

Quite simple

Defender has control of the ball: play on

Defender no where near ball and moves to intercept striker: impeding and a FK. Could potentially book for it depending on circumstance. As far as Dogso goes, that's a bit tough as the attacker hasn't got the ball at any point
haha yes 'impeding' thats the word i was after... :p

unless the defender used hands/arms or body, then it changes from impeding to holding (if you believe an offence occurred that is, which you didn't) :)

Took me a few seconds to remember the term.

I darent use the word obstruction or somewhere @Brian Hamilton 's ears would have perked up and I'd be in trouble :cry:
Impeding the progress of an opponent Impeding the progress of an opponent means moving into the path of the opponent to obstruct, block, slow down or force a change of direction by an opponent when the ball is not within playing distance of either player.

what, this word ? :ninja:

Thanks for the comments. I can't be 100% certain, but I'm more confident that I got it right. For the striker to run so far with little chance of winning the ball suggests it was a desperate attempt to look for something. His team were losing heavily at the time.
On the impedance issue, I know the sort of challenge you're referring to, but the defender here made no movement to impede the player before the ball was within playing distance, so rule doesn't apply here.
Only options here were dfk for body check (yellow card, as dogso would have been harsh on reflection), retake fk, or play on. I did give myself to think, but given what I had seen, I went for the last.

Back