A&H

Foul and Abusive Language v Dissent

1. Foul language is not a criminal offense and abusive language is not in and of itself a criminal offence.
2. Foul language is not mentioned in the LOTG at all.

The Referee Store
You would be arrested for swearing in the street. There are various offences which can be committed involving the use of threatening abusive words or behaviour. The effect on others and the intention of the person swearing would be some of the factors to consider when deciding whether or not an offence had been committed.

There is also an offence of using obscene and profane language in the street to the annoyance of residents. However, a person is only likely to be arrested for this offence if the behaviour occurs in the presence of a police officer.

Foul language is not mentioned in the LOTG at all? are you sure about that?

The use of foul and abusive language in any form is disgusting and unnecessary.

When this verbal diarrhoea is directed at authority, and especially referees and their assistants, it is even more despicable.

It is an affront to authority and is a clear and blatant attempt to intimidate the referee in his decision making.

Law 12 (FOULS AND MISCONDUCT) of the Fifa Laws of the Game (LOTG)

Sending-off offences

A player, substitute or substituted player is sent off if he commits any of the following seven offences:

• serious foul play
  • violent conduct
  • spitting at an opponent or any other person
  • denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within his own penalty area)
  • denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player's goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick
  • using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures
  • receiving a second caution in the same match

Read more at http://www.thefa.com/football-rules...fouls-and-misconduct.aspx#dlB5oQZI6vL0VUbX.99

How is this NOT in the rules of the Game? ~ yes the wording is different, when i first started it was called ~ FOUL ABUSIVE AND INSULTING LANGUAGE ~ but at the end of the day it means the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. You would certainly not necessarily be arrested for swearing in the street - as you say, the context is important as it is on a football field.
2. Yes, I am sure that foul language is not mentioned in the LOTG and, as you correctly highlight, it has been deliberately removed.

:mad: Yes you can. It is an ((((( OFFENCE ))))) to use obscene and profane language in the street or PUBLIC AREA because it can cause annoyance and offence to those around you. :mad:

As a Referee i will not tolerate such language, and the player, spectator or manager using such language will be dealt with, shouting ''FOR F**K SAKE, F**K OFF or any other such language will be removed from the field of play.

Law 12 (FOULS AND MISCONDUCT) of the Fifa Laws of the Game (LOTG) states quite clearly and I quote:
  • Using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures

2 words guarantee a red card for me....direct the word 'cheat' in my direction or the other c word and it'll be an early bath every time.

Agreed, "Carrot" can be offensive to red heads :eek:

As for some of the more recent posts, can we please cool this down? Mark - some of your points are valid, and your tough stance commendable if you can make it work for you, although other points do seem contradictory which has possibly lit a blue touch paper. For example - your initial post seems to confuse FA Law and the civil law simply by the way it's written. I couldn't think of a humorous way to point it out but now wish I had!

Last edited:
:mad: Yes you can. It is an ((((( OFFENCE ))))) to use obscene and profane language in the street or PUBLIC AREA because it can cause annoyance and offence to those around you. :mad:

As a Referee i will not tolerate such language, and the player, spectator or manager using such language will be dealt with, shouting ''FOR F**K SAKE, F**K OFF or any other such language will be removed from the field of play.

Law 12 (FOULS AND MISCONDUCT) of the Fifa Laws of the Game (LOTG) states quite clearly and I quote:

• Using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures
Even if you whisper it? I can be arrested for whispering now? Eric Arthur Blair, you were correct.

Some of the above post was brought to you by the words tired, experienced, sarcasm and you're just plain wrong Mark, both in the wording of your posts and your assertion that foul language is mentioned in the laws of the game.

Blimey, Mark's only been here two days and some of his fellow refchatters are already, seemingly, struggling with his colourful prose, his bold typeface, his capital letters and his underlining

As for the rest, splitting hairs over 'foul' and 'offensive' when the guy has already acknowledged the fact makes me think that some people need to get out more

Blimey, Mark's only been here two days and some of his fellow refchatters are already, seemingly, struggling with his colourful prose, his bold typeface, his capital letters and his underlining

As for the rest, splitting hairs over 'foul' and 'offensive' when the guy has already acknowledged the fact makes me think that some people need to get out more
Happy to split hairs all day long with someone who is using out of date terms from a previous refereeing career

Easy gents, I am on my second mug of horlicks here and you appear to be spoiling to ruin my malty soporific buzz with crossed words! :)

Says the man who talked of women with two c****s earlier today on an open forum frequented by children ( or young adults), whatever that p.c.term was :confused:

Easy gents, I am on my second mug of horlicks here and you appear to be spoiling to ruin my malty soporific buzz with crossed words! :)
Too tired for crossed words Horlicks man. Just don't want the more impressionable newbies being influenced by someone who is using historical terms which aren't used these days

It's a slippery slope, monkey, next thing you know, you'll be flagging offside from go............doh!

Once more unto the breach...

I'm glad that we have all now agreed that "Foul Language" is no longer mentioned in the LOTG as I originally stated.:)

As to getting arrested: Section 5 of the Public Order act is the relevant Law and reads, in part, as follows:

Harassment, alarm or distress.
(1)A person is guilty of an offence if he—
(a)uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or
(b)displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting,

within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress thereby.

(4)A constable may arrest a person without warrant if—
(a)he engages in offensive conduct which a constable warns him to stop, and
(b)he engages in further offensive conduct immediately or shortly after the warning.

So...again no mention of "Foul Language", no offence if no-one is upset and a person guilty of the offence can only be arrested on the spot if he or she is warned by a constable to stop and fails to do so.

Last edited:
Horlicks man's sidekick is the Ovaltine kid

Still not sure about a nemesis tho'

Could pidgeon english be regarded as foul language, I wonder

As to getting arrested: Section 5 of the Public Order act is the relevant Law and reads, in part, as follows:

Within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress thereby.

'No offence if no-one is upset'

See, now that doesn't quite follow, does it mctavish

Tricky thing this law thingy

Last edited by a moderator:
Horlicks man's sidekick is the Ovaltine kid

Still not sure about a nemesis tho'

Curdle.

Unloved and forgotten about earlier in life this milk-based creature slowly turned into something bitter, distasteful and foul. Now he's out to get the world, corrupting everything he touches, one dose of poisoning at a time.

Yes I possess a vivid imagination.

Back