A&H

Flagging for substitutes

farrell

If you're the assistant ref and you need to flag for a sub:

1) Do you wait until the ball is out of play before you flag? If so do you stop flagging if the ref doesn't see you and the ball comes back into play?

2) Do you go to the halfway line to flag?

The Referee Store
General etiquette should be:
Wait for the ball to go out of play, flag the referee and get yourself to the halfway line once he/she as acknowledged your signal, or if the referee has asked, they may deal with it, depending on whos closer. Youll generally flag it from your position at the time

Ball out of play, flag up in the sub signalling position, still where you are. If ball returns to FOP before ref acknowledges, drop flag and ensure you're in position. If ref acknowledges, drop flag and run to halfway line

what i want to know is at what level do the coaches follow this procedure and stop shouting, 'hey, ref, sub'

what i want to know is at what level do the coaches follow this procedure and stop shouting, 'hey, ref, sub'
When there's a 4th man.

Eases slightly when there's buzzers (Contrib and up) but still get managers doing it.

At Supply league (I use buzzers in the middle), I still get it. Majority of time when I'm senior at Contrib, they still yell. Seen it at Conf South regularly too. Doesn't happen at Conf Prem & FL/PL as 4th man is right there!

If you are the "other Lino" - mirror the flag of the senior assistant to ensure the ref sees the flag.

Following on from this how would you address the ref to gain his attention. Assuming that you don't have buzzers, do you shout his name as you have already established this or do you shout ref / referee ?

If you are the "other Lino" - mirror the flag of the senior assistant to ensure the ref sees the flag.
Second that!

I've lost count of the times I've had coaches moaning at me as AR1 because play was in the far corner, ref has his back to me and AR2 doesn't see/doesn't mirror my signal!!!!!

Following on from this how would you address the ref to gain his attention. Assuming that you don't have buzzers, do you shout his name as you have already established this or do you shout ref / referee ?
I shout 'Ref!'

farrell said:
If you're the assistant ref and you need to flag for a sub: 1) Do you wait until the ball is out of play before you flag? If so do you stop flagging if the ref doesn't see you and the ball comes back into play? 2) Do you go to the halfway line to flag?

I would say, shout name because it would may you look like you know each other better than you might do

Back