A&H

First spectator dismissal

MatthewC

A couple of weeks ago I did a mid-level (for a level 7 referee) open age game, with an assessor present. Although I hadn't official received confirmation of my promotion to level 6 (which I have since received), he confirmed that he'd been told he was assessing me as a level 6, for promotion to 5.

Anyway, 16 minutes into the game: I've had a few niggly fouls and have had to have a word with a couple of players about silly challenges going in. Ball is running out of play for a goal kick and defender (home team) is shielding it out. Attacker (away team) comes charging in from behind, slides around the player and takes him out. He's made a bit of contact with the ball but from the angle he went in at he never really stood much chance of winning it. I blow for a foul, call the physio (manager with water bottle) on, and make a note of offending player. Once I've ascertained the injured player is alright, I call the offender over and issue the caution. No complains from him, or any of his team. During the previous passage of play, however, I noticed that there were two away substitutes standing (in full kit) pitch-side near the halfway line. As I run up the field to take my position for the free kick, I give the subs a quick shout of 'can we get some jackets on please lads?'

So far in my very short career (2 years) I have never had any response to this other than 'yeah sure, sorry ref'. They all know why they shouldn't be pitch side in kit, and I'm sure they've all been asked multiple times to cover up. On this occasion, however, they both just stared at me with blank looks on their faces (as if I'd asked them to strip down and start twerking), and a spectator who was standing with them shouts out 'why ref? They're not causing any problem, stop being so ridiculous and get on with the game.' Slightly bemused by this reaction, I walk over and explain that substitutes wearing kit standing next to the pitch could be mistaken as players, which will confuse my assistant (CAR) on the other side of the pitch, myself, and players from both teams. I once again request politely and respectfully that the substitutes cover their shirts, which they both make movements to do. I turn around to get back to the game and hear 'And don't you dare f***ing come over here and talk to me like that again' from behind me. I turn, this time utterly confused as why the spectator has reacted this way, and he looks me in the eye and adds 'You c***'.

I immediately called the away team manager (who was acting as CAR on the far side of the pitch) and inform him that I'd like the spectator removed from the vicinity of the field of play. I then spend a further minute arguing with him as he 'has no idea who the guy is', 'has no responsibility to control the spectators', and 'cannot do anything about it'. I inform him that I will be forced to abandon the game unless the spectator is removed, but he insists there is nothing he can do about it. Overhearing the conversation, the spectator climbs over a small mesh wire fence surrounding the vicinity of the pitch, and I inform him that I am not happy to continue until he is far enough away that I cannot be subjected to his abuse. Eventually, he leaves.

At the time, I was reasonably pleased with the way I dealt with the situation, and was happy that it was an incident that I could have done little to prevent. However, the assessor at half time suggested that I didn't need to dismiss him, and that perhaps I could have man managed the situation, and given the spectator a warning instead. He's written in my assessment that

'I felt you tended to speak rather sturnley (sic) to players and spectators at times which seemed to undermind (sic) your control. A more softer approach showing respect would possible have prevented the incident with the spectators on the sideline in the 16th min. Rather than shout at the subs from 20/30yds to cover their shirts, if you had approached them to the touchline a short request to cover up could have been said preventing reaction from the spectators. Also its not the responsibility of the manager to control spectators.'

Thoughts?

The Referee Store
It's the responsibility of a club official, thus the manager would fall within this category. I wouldn't put up with someone calling me c%*t and threatening me, sounds like you dealt with it well.... I'm surprised you wasn't marked up with it. Players know they need to cover shirts up when off the pitch.

What overall score did you get?

So whose responsibility is it?

That's what I thought. I'm glad you've said that though because I was starting to doubt myself. It's one thing having 22 players tell you you don't know the 'rules', but it's slightly different with an assessor...

It's the responsibility of a club official, thus the manager would fall within this category. I wouldn't put up with someone calling me c%*t and threatening me, sounds like you dealt with it well.... I'm surprised you wasn't marked up with it. Players know they need to cover shirts up when off the pitch.

What overall score did you get?

Thanks :) I thought exactly the same thing to be honest. I was given 'Standard Expected', overall, with 'Standard Expected' across all five competencies. Which is alright I guess but I feel quite harshly done by. I thought I had a really good game - 3 yellows (reckless play, dissent and delaying the restart), and a penalty (which the assessor agreed with). Played several good advantages which lead to goal scoring opportunities - the assessor disagreed with one of them that I played on the halfway line despite it leading to a cross and shot on goal. I was also picked up on positioning at a corner. I was on the side of the D closest to the corner being taken (as most of the corners had been in-swingers to the near post). Ball went long, ping ponged off two players and went out. Looked a goal kick to me so I awarded it, and ended up cautioning the attacker for dissent. Assessor said that I could have avoided the dissent if I'd been positioned correctly on the far side of the box.

Is this assessor for real?

It is absolutely the responsibility of the manager ("club official") to control spectators and as for man-managing a spectator who has called you a c#%*......utter drivel!

A small word of advice, don't get involved with spectators at all if you can avoid it.

I am a little confused. How many spectators?

"I immediately called the away team manager (who was acting as CAR on the far side of the pitch)"
Does this mean you shouted across the whole width of the pitch?

Also the assessors comments seem balanced. perhaps should end with "...if there are senior club officials present" or similar.

A small word of advice, don't get involved with spectators at all if you can avoid it.

I do normally avoid it. But he was stood with the subs wearing a tracksuit, looked more like part of the management team than a spectator. And as the subs had made no effort to cover up and the spectator had taken it upon himself to become their spokesman it kinda seemed like the right thing to do at the time.

I am a little confused. How many spectators?

"I immediately called the away team manager (who was acting as CAR on the far side of the pitch)"
Does this mean you shouted across the whole width of the pitch?

Also the assessors comments seem balanced. perhaps should end with "...if there are senior club officials present" or similar.

It was just the one spectator. I called the manager over but met him halfway across the pitch. As he was the only one that had identified himself to me as a manager I didn't really feel there was anyone else I could have spoken to. It was a bit messy to be fair, and seemed a bit ridiculous dragging him across, but as it's the club official's responsibility to control their spectators, I didn't really feel as if I had any other option. As it turned out he was the only club official present.

Yeah, I've had subs wearing full kit a few times, and have rarely had any problem with a quick shout along the lines of "can we cover up please guys". On the odd occasion that instruction's not been followed, I've gone across and insisted, and once they realise why/what I'm asking, again, never had a problem.

It's the famous "stepped" approach, but applied to a different situation - if you're having to stop play and give formal instructions rather than just make a suggestion in a natural break, you've escalated the seriousness of the situation. Makes perfect sense to try and deal with it in a casual way first of all. It does sound like there was something a bit strange going on with that spectator though, he was obviously more formally involved with the club than he was letting on I think.

Obviously it's the home clubs responsibility to manage the spectators whoever the spectators are, however, one thing that I noted. The assessor mentioned a 'stern approach' whilst the spectator took issue with the way you spoke to him. Normally I would just ignore that as spectators being spectators but is there anything to it? Next time could you reconsider how you approach them on the sideline?

Obviously it's the home clubs responsibility to manage the spectators whoever the spectators are, however, one thing that I noted. The assessor mentioned a 'stern approach' whilst the spectator took issue with the way you spoke to him. Normally I would just ignore that as spectators being spectators but is there anything to it? Next time could you reconsider how you approach them on the sideline?

I've very honestly thought long and hard about that myself, and although I can't remember the exact words I used with him, I can distinctly remember trying not to antagonise him. I was a respectful distance from him when I spoke to him, kept both hands open (classic 'I don't want any trouble' pose), and definitely didn't swear at, or use any condescending or offensive language towards him. I guess I was slightly authoritative whilst speaking to him, but no more so than you'd expect from someone refereeing a football game. Any less so and I think I'd be leaning towards being 'not strong enough to do the job'.

At my referee course many moons ago the subject arose of who's responsibility it is if there is any spectator problems and the reply was the home manager. Only once did i tell a home manager if a spectator wasn't removed from the vicinity (i never approach a spectator in that scenario it just gives them ammo to argue back) i would abandon the match and send in a report, he soon had him removed.......

Just to spin this around on its head - if he thinks having him removed for calling you a c**t is harsh, what would he actually need to to to fully justify that treatment?

Kill someone? :eek::confused:

Back