A&H

First Sin Bin!

DazN

Level 7 Referee
Checked Sin Bin off my list of 'things I am yet to encounter in a game'

U13s MJPL game and away team are 5-1 up.

Almost at HT, home team on the attack and the CF gets into the area and there is an accidental trip and I award a penalty.

Player that committed the foul starts moaning about how it was accidental and not a foul. I tell him it's still a foul and therefore a penalty and I don't want to hear anything else he has to say. He walks past me where the ball is on the spot and I swear he is going to kick it away. I warn him not to touch the ball and he swings his foot very close to to it and wanders off to the edge of the area in preparation for the pen. Before he gets there he stops and I tell him to leave the area. He starts muttering about how he doesn't have to do what I say and I decide enough is enough. I walk up to him and ask for his name. His face when I get the card out and point to the sideline was a picture. His teammates are all 'Just shut up (name)' and his manager is screaming at him to get off the pitch. He served out the last two minutes of the half and six of the second half before coming back on where his behaviour was exemplary. He even scored a goal.

After the game the Away CAR gave me my flag, shook my hand and said 'That's just what he needed, he's always doing it' which made me feel I'd done the right thing. The Away coach said I'd 'reffed a brilliant game' and thanked me for Sin Binning his player.

I went over to the player and shook his hand, congratulated him on his behaviour in the second half and his goal. He turned to his coach and said 'Do I have to say sorry?'

I said 'Only apologise if you want to. It doesn't bother me'

He then said sorry.

Feels good to get that out of the way although I'm sure they won't all be met with such praise!

The Referee Store
Sounds like a fully justified and correct use of the 'Bin'
Remember CFA's etc collate information about dissent incidents and offenders by using WGS, so be sure to report it in that forum.
Well done.

Sounds like a fully justified and correct use of the 'Bin'
Remember CFA's etc collate information about dissent incidents and offenders by using WGS, so be sure to report it in that forum.
Well done.

Thanks yes I reported it on the WGS, when I eventually worked out how to!

Checked Sin Bin off my list of 'things I am yet to encounter in a game'

U13s MJPL game and away team are 5-1 up.

Almost at HT, home team on the attack and the CF gets into the area and there is an accidental trip and I award a penalty.

Player that committed the foul starts moaning about how it was accidental and not a foul. I tell him it's still a foul and therefore a penalty and I don't want to hear anything else he has to say. He walks past me where the ball is on the spot and I swear he is going to kick it away. I warn him not to touch the ball and he swings his foot very close to to it and wanders off to the edge of the area in preparation for the pen. Before he gets there he stops and I tell him to leave the area. He starts muttering about how he doesn't have to do what I say and I decide enough is enough. I walk up to him and ask for his name. His face when I get the card out and point to the sideline was a picture. His teammates are all 'Just shut up (name)' and his manager is screaming at him to get off the pitch. He served out the last two minutes of the half and six of the second half before coming back on where his behaviour was exemplary. He even scored a goal.

After the game the Away CAR gave me my flag, shook my hand and said 'That's just what he needed, he's always doing it' which made me feel I'd done the right thing. The Away coach said I'd 'reffed a brilliant game' and thanked me for Sin Binning his player.

I went over to the player and shook his hand, congratulated him on his behaviour in the second half and his goal. He turned to his coach and said 'Do I have to say sorry?'

I said 'Only apologise if you want to. It doesn't bother me'

He then said sorry.

Feels good to get that out of the way although I'm sure they won't all be met with such praise!
Well done. L7 like you and doing plenty of U13 to U16s now, and only U12s for a couple of JPL teams (JPL the only league round here with no ref sec despite how much money they're making!). Had similar comments from coaches/parents to yours of late which demonstrates a) the change in expectations at U13s now it's 11 v 11 and b) people like me at U12s & U11s have probably managed too much and not cautioned enough (even if at the time I thought I'd managed things well).

I've refereed about 8/9 matches at U11/U12 level so far without the need for any cards. Sure, there's been a little bit of backchat but nothing to warrant a card IMO. Last week I was refereeing my sons U10 match. I've been doing these matches for free as a parent volunteer for about a year and a half, this is how I got into refereeing and got qualified. During the game, a player from the opposition muttered 'This ref is biased' after I gave a throw in decision against his team. Could this warrant a yellow card and sin bin? If not can any other action be taken aside from having a word with the player.

I've refereed about 8/9 matches at U11/U12 level so far without the need for any cards. Sure, there's been a little bit of backchat but nothing to warrant a card IMO. Last week I was refereeing my sons U10 match. I've been doing these matches for free as a parent volunteer for about a year and a half, this is how I got into refereeing and got qualified. During the game, a player from the opposition muttered 'This ref is biased' after I gave a throw in decision against his team. Could this warrant a yellow card and sin bin? If not can any other action be taken aside from having a word with the player.

Firstly, welcome to the parent turned volunteer turned referee club!

Secondly, a sin bin is not a caution, despite the yellow card being shown. It is for dissent which includes questioning the authority of the referee.

https://www.thefa.com/-/media/cfa/herefordshirefa/files/sin-bin-clarification-update.ashx?la=en

"For Mini Soccer Football u7-u10 age groups, the referee would be expected to manage where dissent is involved in liaison with the Coaches but can still impose the sanctions if necessary"

I would be talking to the coach and asking him to speak to his player.

Secondly, a sin bin is not a caution, despite the yellow card being shown. It is for dissent which includes questioning the authority of the referee.

https://www.thefa.com/-/media/cfa/herefordshirefa/files/sin-bin-clarification-update.ashx?la=en

"For Mini Soccer Football u7-u10 age groups, the referee would be expected to manage where dissent is involved in liaison with the Coaches but can still impose the sanctions if necessary"

Thanks, good advice. Yes the first time I was asked to ref I said 'No chance I'm not doing that!'...Then it was quite apparent that there was no one else to do it and the rest is history.... 😂

You’ll find that in U11/12 games there is very little need for cards most of the time - if you are lucky you could probably go the entire season without even using one. Then they turn 13 and something happens, (hormones probably), which turns most players angry and aggressive. As I think I’ve said on here before - I reffed games ranging from U11 to Open Age in the past couple of years and over 50% of red cards I have shown for Violent Conduct have been to U13 and U14 players.

I don't agree with your statement that a Sin Bin is not a caution. It is a punishment option used by some National FA's when a player commits a cautionable offence.
IFAB:
A pre-defined list of cautionable (YC) offences will be punished by a temporary dismissal

If you've heard talk of the "stepped approach", this would be a time to use it:
* Quiet word in passing
* Public warning
* Public warning with captain
* Yellow card (and in this case, Sin Bin)
* Red card

And don't forget that you can skip steps. You'll have people tell you that any suggestion of bias or cheating should be straight to a red card - but in reality, for something quietly muttered like that, I'd be in the "Public warning with captain" ballpark in adult football, maybe a Sin Bin if it's not a first offence or it's been generally argumentative. For the age group you're talking about, I'd see it as a good opportunity to delay the next restart, get the player in and make it clear to everyone that it's not acceptable.

The main thing is not to ignore it. Even if it's just a "calm down player", addressing it in some form is always better than being passive.

Last edited:
I don't agree with your statement that a Sin Bin is not a caution. It is a punishment option used by some National FA's when a player commits a cautionable offence.
IFAB:
A pre-defined list of cautionable (YC) offences will be punished by a temporary dismissal

Yes sorry that's a poor use of the word caution by me.

Back