A&H

First match in over a year!

JoeLatics

Just for context, I'm now a 4th year University student. I'd been involved in reffing in the University's Intra Mural league in my 2nd year, but last year was extremely busy so I simply didn't have the time. This year I have a little more free time this year so decided to get involved again in the league. Got my appointment for Blues vs Whites through in the week, so went in today mostly worrying about whether I was still fit enough to ref a full 90 minute match!

I think the match went pretty well overall, both teams seemed fairly happy at the end, with the game having finished 2-2.

I certainly need to have a little think about my positioning (generally I did well at not being in the way, but all too often wasn't in a position where I was able to see what was going on!), particularly in the absence of ARs (or even CARs!) in this league. The problem was especially when the ball was getting close to the touchlines/goal lines; the lines weren't painted very well so it was quite hard to see from even 10-15 yards away. Not entirely sure what I could do about that short of standing off the pitch to see!! Will make a point to mention to the captains that it'll be difficult for me to see these, and that I'll assume the ball has remained in play unless it's completely obvious to me that it hasn't.

Offsides were difficult at times too, especially one incident - Whites were on the attack, White midfielder hit the ball as hard as he could looking for a teammate, but it ended up bouncing off a Blue knee, going over everyone, and through to one of his teammates in an attacking position. White defence was screaming offside, but there was literally no way I could have seen that - I was obviously 50 yards away, and (more to the point) looking in the opposite direction when the ball came off the Blue knee! I think he probably was offside given how far ahead of the defense he was when I turned to look, but I give the benefit of the doubt to the attackers in these situations. Additionally, Blue defense felt that the second goal they conceded was offside, again I had no way of seeing whether it was or not so awarded the goal.

The only other incident of note was Blue's equiliser, which came from a penalty. Blue had had a corner, and after a little bouncing around in the box off various players, the ball was coming through to the White GK. A Blue attacker was chasing, and probably not likely to win - but a White defender ended up catching the attacker's ankle. The attacker didn't actually go down but I decided that he had been tripped, so gave the pen. In fairness it was probably a very harsh penalty, but I suppose I'd have given it if it was on the half way line!

So yeah, overall quite happy with how it went today - no bookings needed, only the most fleeting of mildly dissenting comments (for which the couple of guilty players apologised when I'd explained the decision, what a novelty!!), and I'm just delighted that I've caught the bug again! :)

The Referee Store
Back