A&H

First Impressions

Matthew

RefChat Addict
As a referee, first impressions can be so important. I was at my brothers U18 game a few weeks back and the ref turned up with less than five minutes until KO in a mismatched kit, walked over to introduce himself and then to the centre before blowing the whistle. As he was about to start the game, he realised he had forgotten to give his flags out. Really poor.

The players laughed when he turned up, he was late, clearly unfit and forgetful. Now he was actually a pretty good ref, but the players had lost all respect for him before the game even started.

He didn't check the pitch/nets and as first impressions go, it was really bad.

When I turn up to ref, I arrive in plenty of time and make a point of having a chat with managers, appointing CAR's, checking the pitch and net. My shirt is always tucked in and boots clean. Now I might have a really bad game, but I like to think that I make a good first impression.

Seeing this got me thinking about just how important a good first impression is, it's so simple, yet so many refs don't do it. For me, it's one of the most important parts of being a ref and I was interested to see what the rest of you think?

Last edited:
The Referee Store
You've said it in there - he had a good game.

What would you prefer? Look smart, then up early, good first impression etc and then be the worst referee they've ever seen

Or

Turn up 5 minutes before KO, look a mess, bad first impression etc and then be the best referee since Howard Webb?

Obviously, ideally you'd like to have super first impression and then great game, but not always possible!

You've said it in there - he had a good game.

What would you prefer? Look smart, then up early, good first impression etc and then be the worst referee they've ever seen

Or

Turn up 5 minutes before KO, look a mess, bad first impression etc and then be the best referee since Howard Webb?

Obviously, ideally you'd like to have super first impression and then great game, but not always possible!

He did, but he lost the respect of the players as soon as he turned up. As you say though, I would perhaps rather have a superb referee than a good first impression. Having said that, turning up five minutes before KO is really poor, whether you're terrible or fantastic.

The players laughed when he turned up, he was late, clearly unfit and forgetful. Now he was actually a pretty good ref, but the players had lost all respect for him before the game even started.

I would suggest the problem here lies with the players, and a spectator!

Maybe he had another game beforehand, maybe he'd had car trouble, maybe his cat had just died.........there could have been a lot of reasons he was running a little late.

I can think of lots of young referees I have seen who ref with their shirts out, socks down round their ankles and having to get their CARs to use bibs as they haven't got any flags........

i managed to forget my socks the other week and had to borrow a maroon pair from the home team! it didn't affect the game as i just laughed it off and so did the players.

being organised when you turn up for a game does help in your preparation. i've got the Refstore organiser now which is brilliant because i can't forget things. a place for everything and everything in its place!

I would suggest the problem here lies with the players, and a spectator!

Maybe he had another game beforehand, maybe he'd had car trouble, maybe his cat had just died.........there could have been a lot of reasons he was running a little late.

I can think of lots of young referees I have seen who ref with their shirts out, socks down round their ankles and having to get their CARs to use bibs as they haven't got any flags........

Sometimes people have a valid reason, sometimes they don't. Turning up with five minutes to kick off is not acceptable, particularly if that referee doesn't let the manager know. He didn't say anything, but if any of the scenarios you suggest had happened, why not phone ahead and let somebody know? My matches overrun some times, but I always phone ahead to let the teams know that I'm running late and to apologise.

I think you may have misunderstood my point, the age of the ref has nothing to do with it. Do some young refs present themselves poorly? Yes, of course, but the same applies to some older refs. It's not acceptable either way.

On reflection, I should elaborate on the 'clearly unfit'. He limped on to the pitch, and the first impression was that he was unfit. He struggled a bit, but his positioning compensated.

How do you know he didn't phone the manager? Maybe they'd spoken earlier in the week. Very tough to judge without knowing all the facts!

How do you know he didn't phone the manager? Maybe they'd spoken earlier in the week. Very tough to judge without knowing all the facts!

I was talking to the manager before the game. He said that he hadn't heard anything since ringing the ref to arrange KO time etc.

Okay, so he hadn't contacted the manager. But, as said by others, we don't know the circumstances. Don't judge until all facts are known!

This whole thread seems to exist solely as a subtle brag of "look at how good I am". The OP is shockingly blatant.

This whole thread seems to exist solely as a subtle brag of "look at how good I am". The OP is shockingly blatant.

I'm really not sure how you have come to that conclusion? How does me saying that I do what I'm supposed to do pre-match, alongside presenting myself well, amount to bragging? That should be the minimum that ALL referees do.

I started this thread to discuss the importance of making a first impression as a ref, using the example to show how giving a bad first impression can create an incorrect, often unfair (as it was in this case) image. Sadly, a number of people appear to have misinterpreted what I was trying to say. I apologise if it comes across differently, that certainly wasn't intended.

I agree, I once couldn't find a ground for the life of me after horrendous traffic on the way. I had set off aiming to be there an hour and 15 before kick off and it ended up as 10. It was a Senior Cup game and my RDO was there to assess and met me with a bemused look on his face...ended up with the highest assessment mark I've ever got!

If I'm running late for a game I will always ring the club sec ahead to alert them to the issue that I may arrive on the verge of kick off. If it appears I won't get there before kick off (not happened yet) I would ring the appt's sec and notify them to see if another referee can go there instead.

If I'm running late for a game I will always ring the club sec ahead to alert them to the issue that I may arrive on the verge of kick off. If it appears I won't get there before kick off (not happened yet) I would ring the appt's sec and notify them to see if another referee can go there instead.

An ideal scenario, but when you're driving alone...is it worth wasting 5 minutes?

Gents - think we are being a bit harsh on Matthew here.

Ideally everyone would like to be at the ground an hour early and make a good impression etc... and it is often good to start on the right foot, so yes I agree with parts of your post Matthew. However, some referees don't, and as others said some may have excuses, some may not. It's with anything in refereeing, it's each to their own, and you're unlikely to change the mindset of many - not much to be losing any sleep over.

I'm really not sure how you have come to that conclusion? How does me saying that I do what I'm supposed to do pre-match, alongside presenting myself well, amount to bragging? That should be the minimum that ALL referees do.

I started this thread to discuss the importance of making a first impression as a ref, using the example to show how giving a bad first impression can create an incorrect, often unfair (as it was in this case) image. Sadly, a number of people appear to have misinterpreted what I was trying to say. I apologise if it comes across differently, that certainly wasn't intended.

Because what you've chosen to post is "This bloke was awful; I always do what I'm meant to". Can you not see how that comes across as prattish?

An ideal scenario, but when you're driving alone...is it worth wasting 5 minutes?
I don't drive as of yet however I do have a hands-free kit ready for when I do pass my test. I also hope that never happens :confused:

Because what you've chosen to post is "This bloke was awful; I always do what I'm meant to". Can you not see how that comes across as prattish?
I don't think Matthew meant it to sound like that. But he is making IMO a very valid point and using a personal experience as a way of showing it.

I am in a similar boat and hate to turn up late because I like plenty of tine to get my pre match stuff out of the way.

I was playing for an U15 team, last game of the season, whoever won got promoted.

The ref (who looked about 12) turns up about 5 minutes before KO, he wanders over to our team while we were in a team talk, shirt out, socks down, then while dribbling a ball at his feet goes through his pre match talk, it went something like.
" right guys not much to say really, erm, have fun, erm, don't shout at me, erm, and make sure your tackles are clean."
He then walks off to the centre circle and blew his whistle for KO, no pre match checks at all. He didn't know the importance of the game which I think he really should've done. I knew that he'd be :poop: from the start.

Then we started the match, he was scared to blow his whistle, his positioning was all wrong, he got his signals wrong and was generally terrible. He also stopped his watch every time the ball went out of play so instead of the first half being 40 minutes, it was 55. He was extremely arrogant and his knowledge of the law was abysmal.

The point I am making is that even if the referee is good the first impression is also very important because often (with the exception of Matthew's ref) if the ref's first impression is :poop: then he himself as a referee is normally :poop:

I don't think Matthew meant it to sound like that. But he is making IMO a very valid point and using a personal experience as a way of showing it.

I am in a similar boat and hate to turn up late because I like plenty of tine to get my pre match stuff out of the way.

I was playing for an U15 team, last game of the season, whoever won got promoted.

The ref (who looked about 12) turns up about 5 minutes before KO, he wanders over to our team while we were in a team talk, shirt out, socks down, then while dribbling a ball at his feet goes through his pre match talk, it went something like.
" right guys not much to say really, erm, have fun, erm, don't shout at me, erm, and make sure your tackles are clean."
He then walks off to the centre circle and blew his whistle for KO, no pre match checks at all. He didn't know the importance of the game which I think he really should've done. I knew that he'd be :poop: from the start.

Then we started the match, he was scared to blow his whistle, his positioning was all wrong, he got his signals wrong and was generally terrible. He also stopped his watch every time the ball went out of play so instead of the first half being 40 minutes, it was 55. He was extremely arrogant and his knowledge of the law was abysmal.

The point I am making is that even if the referee is good the first impression is also very important because often (with the exception of Matthew's ref) if the ref's first impression is :poop: then he himself as a referee is normally :poop:

You play 55 minute halfs??

Back