A&H

First fixture of the season

S

Sam Neal

I have my first fixture this week. An U11's 9v9 game near me, so this will count towards my 6 games!
What's everyone's fixtures this week?

The Referee Store
Does it have offsides in it? Sorry to be negative, but if it doesn't have offsides (U11 in my league doesn't) then it won't count, I had that cleared up when I was about to start my 6! Not got Saturdays through, Oldham Athletic v Blackpool Sunday.

Good luck anyway!

Not sure jojo, I shall have to clarify that with the league. I hope so! ;)

Is it your first game? I hope so too, I remember the feeling waiting to ref and get the 6 games under my belt!

My first league game yeah. I had 3 friendlies before the season started.

Thats good then, at least you have experience. Everything comes with experience, so good luck!

Does it have offsides in it? Sorry to be negative, but if it doesn't have offsides (U11 in my league doesn't) then it won't count, I had that cleared up when I was about to start my 6! Not got Saturdays through, Oldham Athletic v Blackpool Sunday.

Good luck anyway!
We have offsides in U11 9V9 in our leagues, strange to see how you couldn't play it after seeing it in action! (I don't agree with 9 a side anyway but there we go!)

A FA Development strategy I think(!). I also don't agree with the 9v9, but again one of these development strategies. In our league, it moves from U11 9v9 No offsides, U12 9v9 Offsides, U13+ normal laws.

I do quite like the new 'retreat' rule enforced, but I only got to use it in a little pre season tournament. I think it includes U7&8s, and makes all opposition players retreat into their own half when they have a goal kick. It lets them pass it out, and try to play football, instead of kicking it up, and getting it straight back at them.

Yeah we use the retreat rule as well, actually seen the rewards, better football being played even in bottom divisions.
I like the idea of going from 9v9 no offside to 9v9 offside, gives them a year to get used to having more players.

Last edited:
Yep, definitely with the retreat rule.

9v9 no offside to 9v9 not offside? Haha, I understand what you mean, and I do think it is good for the players.

Just found out from my RDO that they have offsides so it will count towards my 6 games. :)

Yeah we use the retreat rule as well, actually seen the rewards, better football being played even in bottom divisions.
I like the idea of going from 9v9 no offside to 9v9 offside, gives them a year to get used to having more players.
We've had the 'retreat' rule in place in lower juniors for a while now and it does work well when the coaches are switched on. Still too many kids like to see how far they can kick the damn thing when they get chance to show off a bit though!

Also, how strictly do you enforce it? When I was coaching u10s, I (and the kids) got fed up of chasing balls into the corner/goal-line, conceding a GK, then having to run half the length of the pitch, touch the half way line and run all the way back to close down the defender.

We ended up using it with a 'not interfering' policy. So the kids weren't expected to sprint back, as long as they didn't interfere they were allowed to jog it back to half way.

I've only used it once in a pre season tournament, and it was the first time kids got to do it, so they found it more like a game, and ran straight back as soon as it went out, and enjoyed doing that! So I didn't really have to enforce it, a couple of times I might have just reminded a player and he remembered, but apart from that I haven't used it.

We've had the 'retreat' rule in place in lower juniors for a while now and it does work well when the coaches are switched on. Still too many kids like to see how far they can kick the damn thing when they get chance to show off a bit though!

We ended up using it with a 'not interfering' policy. So the kids weren't expected to sprint back, as long as they didn't interfere they were allowed to jog it back to half way.

Yeah similar to that, I don't mind them not being behind halfway as long as they make some effort to get back and don't purposely stand I the other half. Pull it back if they make a move for it whilst in wrong half.

Back