A&H

First Final

Jacob Walukiewicz

My first final in the middle this Saturday in a year 8 cup final (U13). At a local ground as well so there will likely be a crowd of some sort that could scrutinise.
Also straight before I'm assistant on another final (full finals day) so my legs might be a bit dead, I'm standing on terraces later on as well so god knows what I'll be like by 5pm :eek:
Hopefully my first final in the middle goes well and I can gain some valuable experience from the day and hope for a win later as well:D:p

The Referee Store
Don't pay attention to things you can't control. All that matters is the match, if the parents disagree with you so what? Your knowledge of the laws will triumph probably all of their knowledge.

Finals are so much fun - and junior finals as well. Yes, you will get all the family members who have never watched a game in their life so the crowd will be more vocal. But you'll also be running on adrenalin a bit as well.
Expect it to be as if you're refereeing a grade or two higher, that's how finals tend to be. Aside from that, it's just another game - but naturally given the event you're going to put a bit more effort in, run a bit more, make sure you turn up early enough, get a good night sleep, that sort of thing.
I'd advise doing a proper warmup before you start for the day. A line then a middle shouldn't be a problem at this age.
congrats on your appointment - let us know how it goes!
Just make sure you're fully aware of what happens if it's a draw and what other requirements/competition rules are in place.

If you have NARS, make sure you brief them - in the middle of the pitch whilst doing inspection, will look professional to those who are there - as will doing a warm up together.

If you have the added "bonus" of a 4th official, make it clear what you expect him/her to do - especially in regard to any misconduct from the benches.

Have fun & enjoy!

If you have NARS, make sure you brief them - in the middle of the pitch whilst doing inspection, will look professional to those who are there - as will doing a warm up together.

If you have the added "bonus" of a 4th official, make it clear what you expect him/her to do - especially in regard to any misconduct from the benches.

Have fun & enjoy!

Yeah the problem with me doing one right before I'm not sure if their will be time for a warm up with them and I'm not too sure if there will be a fourth official but if there is I'll take your advise into consideration, thanks. :D

Plan your prematch and make time for it.

Indeed as Yorkshire says, you can do without warm up - especially if the 3 of you have officiated previously that day, but do make sure you do a pre match.

Can't emphasise enough checking and double checking what happens if match ends in a draw - everyone, and I do mean everyone, will expect you to know as they won't!

Indeed as Yorkshire says, you can do without warm up - especially if the 3 of you have officiated previously that day, but do make sure you do a pre match.

Can't emphasise enough checking and double checking what happens if match ends in a draw - everyone, and I do mean everyone, will expect you to know as they won't!
Not even that, arriving an hour before the game provides more than enough time for a warm up and a pre-match.

Every supply league game and above in the country goes with both, the only time they don't do both is when none of the officials want to warm up.

Back