A&H

First Academy Match

HullRef

RefChat Addict
Hi guys
I've got my first Academy match this weekend for Sheffield United v Aston Villa.
Not sure whether it is U12's or U14's, or whether I am refing or assisting.
Any advice for me about anything? I'm getting a bit nervous/excited.

Reactions: SM
The Referee Store
Congratulations!

I can only speak for myself, but the set up at Academies is usually very good. At the academy I do, there is a shortage of refs so we do not have assistants, but at all the other academies I have been to they do have assistants.

Games I do at academies are much better than normal games. They always try to play the football, and don't usually argue. And if they do, usually a quick reminder that they are there to play football especially as they are at an academy works. Treat it as a normal game, and enjoy it! I still get excited for games I am given for academies, and really enjoy them!

Enjoy it!

How does one get noticed to do Academy games? Is it the relevant County FA that puts you forward?

He's with Surrey.

For me, I contacted the club directly, and went through that route. If I had joined my RA earlier, the guy who does the fixtures for the academy also attends that, so people can get academy games if they go to the RA and speak to the guy.

I know of another academy that operates in a similar way.

However I also know for Manchester for example, you become part of a development squad (or similar name) and then you get fixtures if you are part of this squad.

I'm with Surrey, so I think the only academies near me are Chelsea and Fulham. I may drop both clubs an email and see what response I get. I have my local RA meeting next week so may ask about.

Yep, I do Oldham and they have a very good set up. I'm told my fixtures for the following month around a week before the month begins.

Very much depends which club it is. Watford have a brilliant set up with mentoring and whatever, whereas Stevenage is done by one of the league ref secs sending around an email, usually on the Tuesday of that week, to see if anyone fancies it! @David Payne have you seen this? http://www.surreyfa.com/referees/academies-associations-and-societies

Yeah I saw. I emailed my RDO and completed their application form and asked to be considered if any opportunities arose in future. See what happens

In your experience/opinion when giving a pre match to your assistants would you find it unprofessional for the ref to use a sheet of paper with the things he wants to cover on it.
(Ie what to do at subs, penalties etc) I wouldn't read from it but just look at it and remember about the stuff I need to cover.
Would this give you a certain opinion about a ref (if you were an assistant) either prepared or unprofessional.

Just wanted to let you guys know that I was AR1 for the U14's. Everything went great, no tricky decisions, only one or two offsides and a free kick (push in the back) that the referee didn't see because he was directly behind the defender who was through on goal. If cards were awarded at academy level then it would've probably been a red for DOGSO. really pleased that I saw it and got it right. Thoroughly enjoyed my first time as an assistant.

Things to work on:
Staying in line with the second last defender and looking down my touchline at the same time (got caught out a bit)
Being assertive with my signals (ie if the referee doesn't see my flag keep it there/waving until he notices)

Thanks for the advice that you all gave me on the run up to it.

Sounds like you did a good job, well done!

Academy games are much more enjoyable for me, and I hope you enjoyed it. Good luck for the rest of your academy games!

It was Sheffield United v Aston Villa
When I got home I switched on the tv to the FA cup 3rd Round draw, the first draw I see was
Aston Villa v Sheffield United.

I wonder if they'll ask me to run the line on this fixture too :p

I do a few academy games for Shrewsbury, only because I was part of a development group. But in shropshire they have changed it this season to any referee who is in need of games for qualifying or who is interested.
It is really good I have had teams like West Brom, Tranmere, Burnley, Rochdale and a few more FL teams. It has also led me to officiating in a game that involved a touring Norway side.

i'm at Norwich city and I have had teams like, Tottenham, Chelsea and Ipswich just to name a few, I get mentored every game and I would be no where near the referee I am today with out it :D

I'm interested in getting involved in academy games as I feel it would be a good way for me to develop. Do you guy suggest contacting clubs directly, I'm with Birmingham FA but live in burton so have burton Albion and derby county around me

I would see if you know of anyone who does academy games at these clubs.

If not, then see if Birmingham does have any connections with the clubs mentioned. You could contact your RDO even if there is nothing on the website, and see if he knows how to get onto the clubs.

If any of the above doesn't work, then go to the club. Although, you could go to the club first. I went direct to the club, as I knew they had no connections with my LFA. But, there are many contacts at my local RA, which I wasn't part of before I began. The guy that appoints for the club attends that RA, so would've been able to speak to him there if I had been there.

I was in the same boat. The CFA appoint refs for the u16's, U18's and above but U14's and below are arranged by the club. I just rang the Sheffield United main switchboard and asked for the number of the academy, then at the academy I asked who it is I need to speak with, everyone was very friendly/patient with me and seemed quite glad to have another ref on board. It all seemed a bit casual on the day after I got past the stewards and the match day coordinator, I was on the line for the first time and the ref only turned up 20 minutes before KO we walked out and got going. Really good day and got some good tips from a better referee, I would definitely recommend doing it as it has helped my game already.

If I were you I'd start at Derby County because I would assume that with it being a bigger club it would have a better structure (but I might be wrong). Also make sure you get simple details when you do get given a date (ie. the time you need to be there, should you wear a shirt and tie?). But give it a try anyway mate cause I think you'll love it. :D

Back