A&H

First 11v11 game

The Referee Store
I might make every manager watch that clip before submitting my scores for the game.

Just so long as you're not blowing up as the ball is sailing into the net ... ;)

In US high school rules for soccer, time is supposed to be kept by a timer, and if the buzzer goes off before the ball fully crosses the line, it doesn't count . . . .

The other thing I would suggest is never give precise timings in the last knockings of a game where you can avoid it.

I'd never refuse to answer a polite query of 'how long' - that's just rude.

However you say '30 seconds', someone is going to start counting and then you've potentially painted yourself into a corner. 'Not long now' if you can get away with it. If not 'inside the last minute' is still better than something specific.

The other thing I would suggest is never give precise timings in the last knockings of a game where you can avoid it.

However you say '30 seconds', someone is going to start counting and then you've potentially painted yourself into a corner. 'Not long now' if you can get away with it. If not 'inside the last minute' is still better than something specific.

For a long time the tradition was to not give anything remotely specific, and really to give non-answers. When I started in the dark ages, suggested responses (at any time during the game) were things like "plenty," "enough," or "time to score a couple of goals." And heaven forbid anyone have the audacity to ask how much time was being added!! That softened with time, but I still never give a time that isn't qualified by "about" or "around" and as we get towards the end "a few minutes" or "not a lot."

Thanks that's good advice! I'll try and remember when it gets close to the end to be a bit more vague!

In US high school rules for soccer, time is supposed to be kept by a timer, and if the buzzer goes off before the ball fully crosses the line, it doesn't count . . . .
Here in Northern Virginia at least, I'm not sure of other states, time for High School games is kept on the scoreboard until the last 2 minutes. The scoreboard clock stops with 2 minutes left and an announcement is made that "Time is now being kept on the field."

Here in Northern Virginia at least, I'm not sure of other states, time for High School games is kept on the scoreboard until the last 2 minutes. The scoreboard clock stops with 2 minutes left and an announcement is made that "Time is now being kept on the field."
That is a local change. (Actually where I am, a lot of schools don't have or don't use the scoreboard, so we often keep time of the field anyway.)

This is good advice!

I've usually answered when somebody asks or I deny a coach a sub b/c time's almost up. Most understand 30 seconds could mean 30 seconds, it could mean 1 minute if somebody has an attacking opportunity.

Has never bitten me. But could definitely see a circumstance where it could.

Probably best to say something like "we're almost done" instead of the exact number of seconds left though.

Opposition parent near the end of a tight local derby game involving my son's U16 team a couple of weeks ago:
"How long left ref?"

Referee (looking at watch):
"Next goal wins!"

It went down well with all concerned, but I guess that might not always be the case.

I'll go with either "in the last minute" for 30-60s left or "nearly done" for less than that. I don't think there's anything in the laws that suggests time should be a secret though, so above that I'll give the correct time rounded to the nearest minute, never really had any issues with this.

Back