A&H

Finished my sixth.

Mick.

RefChat Addict
After the wet weather and injury I finally managed to get my sixth game in yesterday. I was still carrying the injury (pulled calf) so was not up to full fitness but was able to pretty much keep up with most of the play. The field was a bit boggy and soon got churned up once the play started which meant a lot of players slipping over or otherwise losing their footing. Needless to say that every time a player went down there were calls for a foul. I have to admit that foul recognition is something I do not think I am consistant with. Some stuff that I would have given as a foul a few weeks ago (when both sides would look at me as if I were mad) I am not giving now and the players are calling for a foul. Nearly every header results in a call of "in his back ref" despite the fact that invariably the offending player is just holding his ground. Sometimes they put an arm or hand up to stop the jumping player backing into them but I dont see that as a foul. They are merely holding their ground. Am I wrong? There was a sliding tackle from some way out yesterday and the player got the ball. The tackled player then fell over the tackler. I thought it was a fair challenge and shouted down the calls for foul, saying "nothing wrong with that, carry on." I heard one player ask another what players had to do to get a foul. When I hear things like that I do wonder if my foul recognition isn't what it could be. I wasn't much helped by a club linesman who wavered in his offside flagging and I was not convinced that the player was offside. When I didn't whistle the defending team went mad. The attacker stopped (presuming he was offside) and turned back to his own team. The defenders then took the ball and began a counter attack. I just shouted as loud as I could, "play the whistle". Needless to say I got a bit of back chat from a defender about the offside calls. Stepped approach used and words of advice given.
A last minute goal (literally in the last minute) was scored by the home team. It dribbled under a mis-timed dive by the goalie. Really poor goal keeping. Needless to say, after the game the losing side were muttering about the appalling reffing. I was so tempted to remind them that their rubbish goalie let the goal in, not me. The only hand-shake I got from the losers was from the captain.
Oh well. Good days and bad days. I would be grateful if anyone has any video links or tips on foul recognition. It would be a big help.

The Referee Store
I have to admit that foul recognition is something I do not think I am consistant with. Some stuff that I would have given as a foul a few weeks ago (when both sides would look at me as if I were mad) I am not giving now and the players are calling for a foul.

Foul recognition comes from experience, and by also watching more senior referees. This will come with time, so do not worry!

Nearly every header results in a call of "in his back ref" despite the fact that invariably the offending player is just holding his ground. Sometimes they put an arm or hand up to stop the jumping player backing into them but I dont see that as a foul. They are merely holding their ground. Am I wrong?

You are correct - have they pushed the player, or has the player backed into them? You can sell your decision by getting into a side on view position of something we call the drop zone, the place in which the ball is likely to drop. For example at fly kicks and goal kicks, get a close, side on view of all players. Here you can see everyone's hands etc... I often see in newer referees they tend to watch the ball, instead of watching the players, make sure you do not fall into this trap. You can also help yourself by using your voice. If for example, a players got his hands up, or even before his hands are up, you can shout something such as "Arms!" "Keep your arms down guys!" for example.

There was a sliding tackle from some way out yesterday and the player got the ball. The tackled player then fell over the tackler. I thought it was a fair challenge and shouted down the calls for foul, saying "nothing wrong with that, carry on." I heard one player ask another what players had to do to get a foul. When I hear things like that I do wonder if my foul recognition isn't what it could be.

Players are players - they always moan! Point at the ball next time, and shout "Good tackle!".

I wasn't much helped by a club linesman who wavered in his offside flagging and I was not convinced that the player was offside. When I didn't whistle the defending team went mad. The attacker stopped (presuming he was offside) and turned back to his own team. The defenders then took the ball and began a counter attack. I just shouted as loud as I could, "play the whistle".

I had this in an assessment once. The club assistant is there to assist you, I do not tend to go finding offsides, if the team don't get the offsides the need, they can blame their own assistants (if they get too vocal or persistent, step in). If an assistant is not providing a stronger enough signal, signal to him what you would like. If you miss him again, it's not your fault, as you've told him what you expect.

Needless to say I got a bit of back chat from a defender about the offside calls. Stepped approach used and words of advice given.

Good news.

A last minute goal (literally in the last minute) was scored by the home team. It dribbled under a mis-timed dive by the goalie. Really poor goal keeping. Needless to say, after the game the losing side were muttering about the appalling reffing. I was so tempted to remind them that their rubbish goalie let the goal in, not me. The only hand-shake I got from the losers was from the captain.
Oh well. Good days and bad days. I would be grateful if anyone has any video links or tips on foul recognition. It would be a big help.

As I said, watch senior referees and even those on the TV. keep up the good work!

How did it go PK13? Any quesitons?

Fine 1 penalty which the conceding team weren't to impressed by. The keeper came out and took the players feet away with his hands.
But apart from a scrapy game from both sides and a cracking goal

Needless to say that every time a player went down there were calls for a foul. I have to admit that foul recognition is something I do not think I am consistant with. Some stuff that I would have given as a foul a few weeks ago (when both sides would look at me as if I were mad) I am not giving now and the players are calling for a foul. Nearly every header results in a call of "in his back ref" despite the fact that invariably the offending player is just holding his ground. Sometimes they put an arm or hand up to stop the jumping player backing into them but I dont see that as a foul. They are merely holding their ground. Am I wrong?

Lol....always going to be calls like that whenever there's a challenge for the ball, whether in the air or on the ground.

In my game, I had one of the players have a go at me for a 'push in the back', when his teammate was receiving the ball from a throw-in. Player A, receiving, took a step back to take the ball on his chest, the defender behind, put his hand up on his back between the shoulder blades, Player A controlled the all and layed it off to a teammate.

I looked at it and made my judgement based on the fact that the defender's arm remained bent at the elbow and there didn't appear to be any force in the 'push'. It hadn't affected the player's ability to play the ball, so, no foul! I mentioned it to my assessor, who didn't see/remember it (he was on the far side of the pitch) but said that in general a straight arm (locked elbow) would be seen as a push, but, always remember that every player is entitled to their space on the pitch, and using hands to 'feel where the player is' is not an offence unless you are preventing a player from entering a space.

There was a sliding tackle from some way out yesterday and the player got the ball. The tackled player then fell over the tackler. I thought it was a fair challenge and shouted down the calls for foul, saying "nothing wrong with that, carry on." I heard one player ask another what players had to do to get a foul. When I hear things like that I do wonder if my foul recognition isn't what it could be.

I shouldn't worry too much about it, you can only give what you see, and if YOU don't see a foul, then there isn't one. Personally, I struggle to see the upper body stuff, apparantly I missed a bit of pulling and pushing on Saturday.

I wasn't much helped by a club linesman
Really? Now that does surprise me! (insert sarcastic smiley here)
.....who wavered in his offside flagging and I was not convinced that the player was offside. When I didn't whistle the defending team went mad.
In the absence of neutral ARs, in my pre-match chat to the players, I always point out that I will be controlling the offsides more than the ARs, and that while I won't necessarily be in the best position for it, I will ALWAYS give benefit of the doubt to the attacker 'as per the LOTG so 'play to the whistle guys!' A club AR (I had a couple of 12 year olds on Saturday) can be useful to 'corroborate' your decision - I had one I was doubtful of - he looked off to me, and the AR raised his flag too, I figured if we both thought so he probably was.

.......and The attacker stopped (presuming he was offside) and turned back to his own team. The defenders then took the ball and began a counter attack. I just shouted as loud as I could, "play the whistle".
The attacker stopping is always a good indication - I find that while defenders will claim and appeal for everything, it's the attacker who generally knows whether he was off or not.

Back