A&H

Finger-grip whistles

James

Sorry if this has been discussed before, an assessor last season (last game of the season!) recommended that I get a Fox 40 finger-grip whistle so that my hands are free when I'm not using it. I currently use a regular Fox 40 on an elastic lanyard...just wondering what the general views are on the finger-grip style of whistle and whether it is worth getting one.

Cheers :)

The Referee Store
Just remember to take it off before you shake hands with anyone. Ouch.

Not a great fan, to be honest. Found myself poking it in my not-inconsiderable nose before I'd got used to its higher position in relation to my hand at first.

How easy it is to get at a second whistle should one suddenly die on you? Hands free to do what?

I use two whistles on a short lanyard, and I'm usually holding one. That they dangle three inches from my wrist when I'm writing in the book has caused no issues in 10+ years.

my style is 2 whistles no lanyard so i can swap hands but if im on the line as senior then ill take my spares that i keep on lanyards

I have an acme tornado 2000 and a fox 40 mini held together by key ring, and just put them in my pocket when I need my hands

I really like the sonik blast on finger grip. However, when conditions are very warm or too cold or end wet it is not so good and will become uncomfortable.

For such occasions I also have a sonik blast on wrist lanyard which is better for these circumstances. I am not employed by fox whistles I must stress!

Takes a little getting used to the finger grip, and if you have big hands it may need some bending not shape. Will need a couple of games to get used to it.

Agree with the above though. Dumb advice. Go with what's comfortable for you.

Agreed, whatever is comfortable. I used to carry two held together by a key ring, but after a bump, a drop, a 6 foot defender standing on it, having to dig it out of the mud, and then put the bloody thing in my mouth eeeuggh Iinvested in some wrist lanyards.

Much better, and I keep them loose when wearing them so I can easily slip my hand out if required, although I 've never needed to.

Being an oldie, I still prefer my old ACME thunderers which I've had for donkeys years, metal, with a pea, but I do have Fox 40's also. Fox's just need a wash under a tap, but the Acme (even plastic) takes a bit of care cleaning if they've been in the mud. Lanyards, the loose RA type, are a must, you still see the odd 'teacher' running around with a cord around his neck, wouldn't recommend that around here!

I carry a pair of each (not mixed) carry 1 type or the other. It can be useful to have a different whistle to the referee on the pitch next to you on a council park.......you can end up with 4 teams stopping on 2 pitches otherwise! Always worth asking your colleague in the dressing room what they're actually using.

Many moons ago it was suggested that new referees learned to 'vary the tone' of the Acme before blasting off with a Fox, is this no longer the case? I can still give players a good idea of how I'm thinking with the tones of my Acme, particulary my displeasure, How do you Fox users differ the tone?

i agree with the above - i was recommended a fox 40 but i find the tone too shrill, and it sounds really weak when you blow it gently.

i much prefer an acme pea whistle that i've had for years, i've got better control with it.

not sure what you mean. my point was just that you're better off using equipment that you trust and that suits you, rather than feeling like you have to use the "recommended" item if you're not confident with it.

I think you can 'control' the Acme to say what you mean, you really can vary the tone as opposed to a Fox. Players trust confident, sure referees, the right whistle tone can help you tell them what you're thinking, as I said Control being the operative word for what we do, how we go about it is the art

Agree, use what you're comfortable with, but get to know the alternatives, just in case you're forced to use them

Like everyone else has said, go what what suits you best. Personnally I use the finger grip and find it great altought in the cold winter months your figures do get abit numb from been held together for so long.

Back