A&H

Junior/Youth Final from hell

Aled

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
So today was my final. U13's white Vs. Blue.
27 minutes no issues, 28th min sees first caution for a late, reckless challenge and there's no issues at half time and then for some unknown reason the game exploded 5 more cautions and then the contrversal call of the game. 1-0 to blues with 2 minutes left, white free kick, blue 4 is pushing white 4, I shout to him to leave him, he doesn't listen and continues and as White goes to jump there's a pull on the white players shirt. White hits the deck. Penalty, huge uproar as it was very cleverly done to the point where I only saw it cause I'd taken up a different position Anyway, scored and blue 4 makes a stupid comment, "Ref, that's the most blatant bit of cheating I've ever seen", player binned for obvious reasons.
Extra time was clean and we had penalties as well.
Game was good otherwise bar what I've mentioned.
Also major thanks to @BenH101 for being an excellent assistant on his second game as assistant!
Rant over.

The Referee Store
Thought you said game from hell?

Congrats on it thought, only a limited number of finals so can't be given out to everyone, Inc the youth ones.

So today was my final. U13's white Vs. Blue.
27 minutes no issues, 28th min sees first caution for a late, reckless challenge and there's no issues at half time and then for some unknown reason the game exploded 5 more cautions and then the contrversal call of the game. 1-0 to blues with 2 minutes left, white free kick, blue 4 is pushing white 4, I shout to him to leave him, he doesn't listen and continues and as White goes to jump there's a pull on the white players shirt. White hits the deck. Penalty, huge uproar as it was very cleverly done to the point where I only saw it cause I'd taken up a different position Anyway, scored and blue 4 makes a stupid comment, "Ref, that's the most blatant bit of cheating I've ever seen", player binned for obvious reasons.
Extra time was clean and we had penalties as well.
Game was good otherwise bar what I've mentioned.
Also major thanks to @BenH101 for being an excellent assistant on his second game as assistant!
Rant over.
Sounds like a run of the mill final. A final from hell would see 7 dismissed and another 6 cautioned. Also the game would still be talked about 5 years later.

Sounds like a run of the mill final. A final from hell would see 7 dismissed and another 6 cautioned. Also the game would still be talked about 5 years later.
The only reason I say from hell is that it was the supporters, constantly on my back to the point where a misconduct report will be needed, only a kids game as well

The only reason I say from hell is that it was the supporters, constantly on my back to the point where a misconduct report will be needed, only a kids game as well
You didn't mention that in your original post!

If the speccys get on your case, you can be proactive by approaching a club official from the home team (or both teams if at a neutral venue). You can explain to them that they need to take action or you will report the misconduct. That gives them the opportunity to address the matter without you having to resort to a report. I hope you told the team being reported that a report was being submitted. You can't just sneak a report in afterwards, just because they had a go at you. You have to disclose the report is going in.

High praise indeed, thank you @Aled !

If the speccys get on your case, you can be proactive by approaching a club official from the home team (or both teams if at a neutral venue). You can explain to them that they need to take action or you will report the misconduct. That gives them the opportunity to address the matter without you having to resort to a report. I hope you told the team being reported that a report was being submitted. You can't just sneak a report in afterwards, just because they had a go at you. You have to disclose the report is going in.

To be fair, club officials from both sides weren't setting a very good example (putting it mildly) so I can't have seen them being particularly helpful. I would have had a much harder game had we not had a fourth official but I still had one or two words with one coach as most of the shouting was quite close to the back of my head until he appeared two metres on to the pitch. Both dugouts with plenty of 'opinions', started mouthing off to each other and the team of the binned player were adamant that "cheat" warrants a yellow:hmmm: Exciting game though!

You didn't mention that in your original post!

Sadly the team managers had left however the torrent of crap continued after the game which is what swayed me to report them, supporters going out of their way to find me to have a go, heard one, "Where's the ref gone? I want to tell him my opinion". Had the manager been there I would've said that there was a miscond report going in but as he'd already left at the time I couldn't tell him that there was a report going in. I know a few of the players and some of the comments flying around social media may cause an issue as well

High praise indeed, thank you @Aled !

To be fair, club officials from both sides weren't setting a very good example (putting it mildly) so I can't have seen them being particularly helpful. I would have had a much harder game had we not had a fourth official but I still had one or two words with one coach as most of the shouting was quite close to the back of my head until he appeared two metres on to the pitch. Both dugouts with plenty of 'opinions', started mouthing off to each other and the team of the binned player were adamant that "cheat" warrants a yellow:hmmm: Exciting game though!
That's why I asked for the ref on the next game to go 4th incase it got nasty, I possibly could've ended up having to bin technical staff as well :oops: But it's all good experience for you Ben for the future and Welsh League where there is no 4th official

Last edited by a moderator:
That's why I asked for the ref on the next game to go 4th incase it got nasty, I possibly could've ended up having to bin technical staff as well :oops: But it's all good experience for you Ben for the future and Welsh League where there is no 4th official
I would've said that both sets of staff were on thin ice by the end so thankfully it didn't come to that! Still managed to enjoy the day and I felt a lot more confident on the line than my first game (despite the higher stakes)

@Aled ...just noticed your comment about comments on Social Media .

Let your League Sec know , he should hopefully take it to your County Fa and the team should be getting a hefty fine .

Aled/Ben - Was this final played at a "proper" ground?

By that I mean a permanent barrier between pitch and stands/spectators and with dressing rooms?

All finals (inc all youth) I have known in Middx are played at such grounds with League/County officials in attendance - this prevents some of the issues you mention, especially after the match has finished.

Also with a 4th official, you shouldn't really have to go over to issue a warning - he should do that and only call you over if he wants anyone removed - then obviously its a report to follow.

It was indeed a "proper" ground: permanent barriers around all sides, dugout/technical areas on one side, spectator's stand on the other and home, away and officials' changing rooms.

There were league and county officials in attendance and they definitely did their part in keeping a lid on certain people.

The only times I had words with officials were when they kept encroaching on to the pitch nearer to me than the fourth official and when they were asking me why certain decisions were given (of course in a less than eloquent manner). Personally, I think the technical staff of both sides were about ten minutes from being sent away but the fourth official unsurprisingly did a great job of managing it

Back