A&H

Open Age FAL TOWARDS THE REF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irish Tim

had an incident where a lad u17s disagreed with a decision had a few f's and b's towards me I verbally informed him I would have a word next break in play. To which he called me a "stupid c*#t"
Foul language I can do with used in general not directed at anyone if it is I will inform the player and or captain its out of order
Towards me I will caution but insulting language I will issue a red card!
What is others take on it, obviously I have other parameters for younger ages and older ages. What's your take?

A&H International
Red all day, no need to drop the c bomb.
Even when grumbling, if directed at you, yellow.
Stamp it out early.

Why wait for the next for the next break in play?

Unless the opposition are clean through on goal, stop play and deal with it straight away. Make an example of the idiot, even funnier if it was his team though on goal. Any complaints about why did you stop the game ref, direct them towards their potty mouthed team mate!

Hi Irish,
sounds to me like you should have been stopping play to caution anyway.
Using a few fs and bs when talking to me sounds almost def like a caution.
Any referee that doesn't send off after being called a "stupid c*#t" in ANY GAME at ANY AGE isn't fit to wear the black.
If you do stop play, a caution has to follow. You can't stop play to simply have a chat to a player.

Hi Irish,
sounds to me like you should have been stopping play to caution anyway.
Using a few fs and bs when talking to me sounds almost def like a caution.
Any referee that doesn't send off after being called a "stupid c*#t" in ANY GAME at ANY AGE isn't fit to wear the black.
If you do stop play, a caution has to follow. You can't stop play to simply have a chat to a player.

What if it is a quiet one on one conversation he calls you a stupid c*** and you tell him it takes one to know one? Then stroll off to your next position in play leaving him to ponder life and whether he wants to make an issue of it.

What if it is a quiet one on one conversation he calls you a stupid c*** and you tell him it takes one to know one? Then stroll off to your next position in play leaving him to ponder life and whether he wants to make an issue of it.

Shouldn't still be on the pitch to hear your comeback.

And as above if you take that language and make a comeback rather than dismissing you are doing a disservice to all other refs and shouldn't be wearing the black

Thanks for the input lads. The reason for the wait for the break in play is because the opposition are or in possession 50 meters from the incident. To stop the game and caution give the opposition the chance to regroup and have time to organize.
Am I correct in saying that should I stop the game to restart within the LOG I must restart from where the verbal accured or from where the game is stopped?

Am I correct in saying that should I stop the game to restart within the LOG I must restart from where the verbal accured or from where the game is stopped?
It would be an IDFK where the offending player was.

Then you are lowering yourself to his standard !

Number + Match Sheet !
Then I hope I am not assessing you, as at L7 you should follow proper process. Easy development point....

A wrong name challenge by the club to the dismissal could cause you problems if you don't follow correct process.

Number + Match Sheet !
From The FAs Guide to Misconduct Reporting
The Football Association recommends that the following actions be adopted by the referee when cautioning a player:
1. State that the player is being cautioned.
2. Enquire the player’s full name and confirm the spelling.
3. Inform the player that if a second cautionable offence is committed, then a sending off will take place.
4. Show the yellow card, clearly raised aloft and in a nonthreatening manner.

Remember that the mandatory use of a card is merely a simple aid to better communication. You should not use the card in an aggressive or provocative manner likely to inflame an already emotive situation.

This guidance applies all the way up to Level 2b

The Football Association recommends that the following actions be adopted by the referee when cautioning a player:
3. Inform the player that if a second cautionable offence is committed, then a sending off will take place.

Remember that the mandatory use of a card is merely a simple aid to better communication. You should not use the card in an aggressive or provocative manner likely to inflame an already emotive situation.

Yes. We're not premier league or Football league and dealing with professional footballers who are well controlled and focused on their job.

At a caution, it is our time to remain in control. Slow the game down and allow you to manage the tempo of the match.

As the FA are aware most of us referee alone in this country, failure to apply the guidance above will just put you at risk of losing control and cause you to inflame a situation.

Generally within our league and normally directive from our society we aren't required to get a name because
1. It can be a tense situation and letting a player into your space and increase the likely hood of an assault.
2. As for asking for a name you could be asking for a smart arse response like
"What's your name?"
"Donald Duck"
What do you do then?
We would generally just take the number and issue caution if there is an issue with name and that's an issue for the offices of the league and club secretary.

Generally within our league and normally directive from our society we aren't required to get a name because
1. It can be a tense situation and letting a player into your space and increase the likely hood of an assault.
2. As for asking for a name you could be asking for a smart arse response like
"What's your name?"
"Donald Duck"
What do you do then?
We would generally just take the number and issue caution if there is an issue with name and that's an issue for the offices of the league and club secretary.

Increase the likelihood of assault asking a player for his name? By not speaking to a player, you're not explaining why you've cautioned him or communicating that with anyone and I'd argue increasing the likelihood of losing your match control and creating a greater risk of being assaulted as you're not managing the game.

If they give you the name Donald Duck, say thanks Donald and report that name.

Red card as soon as he said the first foul word for me.
I referee should never been seen to be spoken to like that. Simple.

If they use the b word I would automatically assume it was towards me.

Last edited:
If they give you the name Donald Duck, say thanks Donald and report that name.
@Irish Tim - if they do give a stupid name, and nobody corrects it before you submit the report, then the County FA will also charge the club / player with giving a false name. So two fines to pay for being stupid £+ £+ £+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back