A&H

Fabregas Red Card VAR

I've heard Geoff Hirst goal has just gone to VAR, apparently, in slow motion, it didn't go in!!! :) We need some to hand some of those medals back i think!!

The Referee Store
Not sure how these statements can happily occupy the same space
Slow motion will always make these incidents look worse. Football is not played in slow motion (although fans of some teams would disagree)
Can they use it? Yes, clearly. Should they use it? Ideally, they wouldn't.

Didn't anyone think his foot getting caught on the ground may have caused propelling it forward into the opponent's leg?

this is the vid I am watching (the op is blocked).

Attachments

• 1565484929383.png
    1565484929383.png
    204.2 KB · Views: 2
That was (almost) the Futuro (FIFA) guidelines previously. There's supposed to be an understanding now that the force is also important, not just the point and type of contact.

What about a tackle with the side of the foot onto the shin... is that a red card? Your comment suggests that it should be.

Yes!

The more I watch this incident, the more uncertain i get
I don't want to be showing a red card based on an inclination or hunch, so on reflection this looks like a poor VAR intervention

Not sure how these statements can happily occupy the same space
Slow motion will always make these incidents look worse. Football is not played in slow motion (although fans of some teams would disagree)

Slow motion is fair to use to determine point of contact--was it really the Achillesor did it miss there and just hit the boot? But it is (at least generally) not intended to be used for things like level of force or severity of contact, as the speed can warp the perception of that.

Looks deliberate to me, appears that he tries with his left foot first, that is not a natural stride.

That will be a red every time in France (with VAR). French referees are instructed that anything above the ankle is a red card!

Personally, like others, I think a Yellow is sufficient. I think in England (even using VAR) it will be a Yellow.

Interesting. Faw training guidance was: studs to the foot is usually a yellow. Studs at the Achilles or back of the leg is generally a red. Intent irrelevant ofc.

There is some wiggle room though obviously.

Back