A&H

FA CORE Programme

CA

Level 4 Referee
Hi all,

I have seen a couple of posts on social media over the past couple of days regarding referees finding out that they have been either nominated to, or have been accepted onto the respective FA CORE programme for their level.

Who recommends the referees for this? & does anyone know when the announcements of admittance into each group will be sent out to the respective referees?

Thanks in advance.

The Referee Store
https://the-ra.org/resources/The FA National Referee Strategy.pdf

"Crucial to the future of refereeing (and football) in England is the identification and development of referees with the potential to perform at higher levels. The current development pathways (YRDP, NRDP; FADG) will be combined to create The FA Centre of Refereeing Excellence (FA CORE), a development pathway based on the UEFA model which is used by many countries worldwide.
The focus will be on potential, as opposed to talent: a misleading and unhelpful label. Referees with potential (regardless of location, age, background etc...) will have opportunities to realise their potential. This is a critical area of focus if The FA is to continue to produce high quality referees at all levels, and especially at PL/FL and UEFA/ FIFA, where our current reputation is envied worldwide. A pyramidal CORE structure is outlined below, and ‘regional centres’ will form an important part of the structure, as will selection days:"

FA CORE 1 & 2 were nominated by County FA but FA CORE 3 candidates were chosen by the FA based upon various (non-age related) criteria

That's incorrect

Not according to the documents I've seen......

"It is anticipated that the ideal candidate for the CORE scheme will be aged 16-24. In exceptional circumstances candidates outside of the recommended age range may be considered."

RDO's are being 'encouraged' to stick to the anticipated ideal age range......

Is Padders interpreting rules and manipulating them to make his life easier.

I once knew a man who wouldn't stand for that kind of business!

Even when your wrong your right aren't you. @Nottsman has just told you he has been invited at 31 and the "document" clearly states regardless of age.

You aren't very good at reading between the lines are you?

If the FA are suggesting an age range....it's not really a suggestion.......they have to include the 'exceptional circumstances' so that they can include the token oldie to fend off criticism of ageism........

You aren't very good at reading between the lines are you?

If the FA are suggesting an age range....it's not really a suggestion.......they have to include the 'exceptional circumstances' so that they can include the token oldie to fend off criticism of ageism........

Why do you have to put a negative spin on everything. If the FA announced that all grass roots officials were to be paid a minimum of £100 per game I reckon you would complain, you would want £101.

It says "Generally core referees will be aged 16-24" (emphasis mine) and using that word allows for exceptions. Some counties might not have anyone that they identify as suitable who is under 24, or they may have a referee who started late who has shown signs of being a very good referee.

The aim of this is to get more FIFA referees for England, so there needs to be some kind of age limit recommendation. A level 7 in his 30s is never going to make it to FIFA, whereas someone under 24 does have a chance, albeit small in the grand scheme of things. To go from level 7 to FIFA referee, assuming you go from 7-4 in one season and are promoted every season, takes 7 seasons, so with a cut off age of 37 it is easy to see why we need referees to be prioritised when they are in their early 20s.

I'm meeting the DCFA Academy head tomorrow night, so I'll try and get some further information and report back (if my old brain has forgotten it by then ;) )

Just a small update - After speaking to the Academy head, the idea is too have mentors and coaches for the refs, with the younger refs getting the mentors, and the refs who are already looking to go up the levels getting coaches. He said the majority are under 24, with a handful in the "older" category, including myself!

We've got an induction meeting in August where it will all be fully explained.

I find this for referee's that are young and are wanting to listen to achieve I'm 26 and I haven't been selected I would want to listen but the coaches have also want to listen to me

Back