A&H

Everton vs City

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
Without var, that handball pk is being given no problems
With the safety net of var, the ref can effectively "bottle it" ( not a phrase i like to associate with refereeing but if it ever applies, this is it), knowing his pal in the video box will bail him out.

except, inexplicably, he does not.

Laurel and Hatdy stuff from two characters sadly becoming synonymous with more comedy than officiating.

two games in a row that referee must have driven home with his head spinning

In real time I’ve no issues with it not being given. It’s a blindside one, and would at best be a guess.

One camera shot looks nailed on, others are less obvious. In this case flip it back and let Tierney take a second look.

And the offside was a good shout too which might negate it, but media don’t talk about that because they want the controversy.

Now for robbery or blatant incompetence see Josh Taylor retaining over Jack Catterall yesterday evening, with the inexplicable split decision scoring.

When I looked at this first the referee makes an unsighted move to get a better view as there is a player in his way and I believe he hasn't clearly seen the incident. He is then relying on VAR who finds a reason not to change the on-field decision of the referee by suggesting it could be in the green area of the arm. FWIW I'm of the view that this is handling as he clearly moves the ball with his upper arm. The image shown by Peter Grove is clear evidence of this. To me yet another consequence of tinkering with the laws. It is use of the arm rather than the shoulder and while it looks great on a representation of a player in the law book in reality this type of action is more handling than not. Without VAR I see this it is being called as handling all day long. The players knew it and I think VAR decided to support the no call. To my way of thinking it brings the VAR use and application very much into focus. The whole idea of VAR was to eliminate these type of situations. If I was the referee I would have like to have seen this yet this was denied for fear that if the referee goes across to the monitor and agrees with his no call that it looks bad.

When I looked at this first the referee makes an unsighted move to get a better view as there is a player in his way and I believe he hasn't clearly seen the incident. He is then relying on VAR who finds a reason not to change the on-field decision of the referee by suggesting it could be in the green area of the arm. FWIW I'm of the view that this is handling as he clearly moves the ball with his upper arm. The image shown by Peter Grove is clear evidence of this. To me yet another consequence of tinkering with the laws. It is use of the arm rather than the shoulder and while it looks great on a representation of a player in the law book in reality this type of action is more handling than not. Without VAR I see this it is being called as handling all day long. The players knew it and I think VAR decided to support the no call. To my way of thinking it brings the VAR use and application very much into focus. The whole idea of VAR was to eliminate these type of situations. If I was the referee I would have like to have seen this yet this was denied for fear that if the referee goes across to the monitor and agrees with his no call that it looks bad.

Thats what I intended to post, but in different words!

Agreed. The constant attempts to clarify laws just create more confusion and difficulty.

Precisely what I've been saying all season... 'the standard of on-field refereeing has never been worse than this season'. They're leaving it to VAR who then has the 'Clearly Oblivious' complications to deal with. Contentious decisions are being blown out of all proportion because nobody can accept the ridiculous outcomes from the very difficult problems VAR brings with it

In real time I’ve no issues with it not being given. It’s a blindside one, and would at best be a guess.

One camera shot looks nailed on, others are less obvious. In this case flip it back and let Tierney take a second look.

And the offside was a good shout too which might negate it, but media don’t talk about that because they want the controversy.

Now for robbery or blatant incompetence see Josh Taylor retaining over Jack Catterall yesterday evening, with the inexplicable split decision scorin

It only looks bad until we get used to the idea that the onfield referee can look at an "inconclusive" screen view and decide that the camera can lie and he's happy with what he saw first time.

When the official protocol includes the idea that looking at the screen is just to look like the ref is "in control" rather than taking the VAR's word for it, there is no expectation that the VAR could be overruled.

Precisely what I've been saying all season... 'the standard of on-field refereeing has never been worse than this season'. They're leaving it to VAR who then has the 'Clearly Oblivious' complications to deal with. Contentious decisions are being blown out of all proportion because nobody can accept the ridiculous outcomes from the very difficult problems VAR brings with it
If that's a play on words, well done. If it's a spellchecker thing, well done the spellchecker.

"the VAR team didn't think there was conclusive evidence that the ball hit Rodri more in the red area of the arm than the green."

Well if that's the case then it's absolute nonsense. It clearly did hit more in the red area than the green.

Here's a still image of the moment of contact. That is without a doubt, more in the red than the green zone. I'd say it's about 95% in the red area which is absolutely and definitively more than what is in the green area.

View attachment 5474
Just for the record, who says that's the point of contact?

Refreshing to see a referee take a zero tolerance approach to keepers taking the proverbial with regard to defensive free kicks in and around the penalty area. Far too often fouls near the goal line end up being taken near or beyond the edge of penalty area, but Tierney wasn't having any of it from Ederson.

That was odd. Why was Ederson in any case taking a FK in the PA for an offside on the wing?

It looked like he had a go at the AR - had there been an indication where to take it?

The argument that they are bottling it and leaving it to VAR is nonsense, as they will get an incorrect KMI in that case. In this situation there was pretty much no chance of Tierney seeing it real time as he was blind side. This is the type of situation that VAR should be sorting out, referee didn't see it and the right thing to do would have been to give him another chance to have a look at it on screen. For whatever reason that didn't happen.

I still don't blame the officials though, they are clearly scared when it comes to VAR and the answer is very clearly to change the PGMOL management. If they were football managers they would have been sacked years ago, they have presided over failure after failure when it comes to VAR yet remain absolutely silient and seemingly untouchable.

The argument that they are bottling it and leaving it to VAR is nonsense, as they will get an incorrect KMI in that case. In this situation there was pretty much no chance of Tierney seeing it real time as he was blind side. This is the type of situation that VAR should be sorting out, referee didn't see it and the right thing to do would have been to give him another chance to have a look at it on screen. For whatever reason that didn't happen.

I still don't blame the officials though, they are clearly scared when it comes to VAR and the answer is very clearly to change the PGMOL management. If they were football managers they would have been sacked years ago, they have presided over failure after failure when it comes to VAR yet remain absolutely silient and seemingly untouchable.

Three? seasons ago, the ref gives that. Its prime where ref should be geting a great view, its last min so a critical time where we earn the big bucks,
its left tho, praying for a bail out.

could he not have given it, then var can spin their bottle to decide its worth reversing?

Three? seasons ago, the ref gives that. Its prime where ref should be geting a great view, its last min so a critical time where we earn the big bucks,
its left tho, praying for a bail out.

could he not have given it, then var can spin their bottle to decide its worth reversing?
Whether three years ago, thirty years ago or yesterday, if he can't see it he can't give it.

Whether three years ago, thirty years ago or yesterday, if he can't see it he can't give it.

Thats a given.

the over riding point, bigger picture is, yesterday, he dont need ( he thinks) to do anything, as var assist.

we all know to be on the move, alert, when that ball goes into the box at 0-1 with thirty secs to go. We need to get that crucial last big call.
to rely on help ( which only Mr K will know why it never came) , still comes back to the onfield refs orginal call. Its handball, its a pk, and, the refs not given it

When you throw on his nervousness last weekend, and before that his missed Kane red few weeks before that, there is a pattern...

Agreed. The constant attempts to clarify laws just create more confusion and difficulty.
Perhaps they're using the "ball in or out of play" thing that now means a ball "in" the corner arc means one outside the arc but hanging over the line. If it's hanging over the "green" zone it's not handball.

Thats a given.

the over riding point, bigger picture is, yesterday, he dont need ( he thinks) to do anything, as var assist.

we all know to be on the move, alert, when that ball goes into the box at 0-1 with thirty secs to go. We need to get that crucial last big call.
to rely on help ( which only Mr K will know why it never came) , still comes back to the onfield refs orginal call. Its handball, its a pk, and, the refs not given it

When you throw on his nervousness last weekend, and before that his missed Kane red few weeks before that, there is a pattern...
He'd have had to be on the goal line to be certain that was handball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back