A&H

Ever changed your mind about a penalty kick?

MumRef

This wasn't my best game ever. So, U15 Cup game, both in the Premier league. Team A winning 2-1. I blew for a push in the box from a corner kick against Team A. I could tell immediately from both sides that it shouldn't have been a penalty and it would have been unfair to change the game on the basis of this one. So I annulled it. Similar thing happened at the other end a little while later - a challenge which I thought looked like obstruction and a push (it just looked a bit wrong, I can't remember why). I blew for a penalty. Surprise all round. Consulted with the AR (a parent so possibly not neutral but seemed to be very experienced) and he said no foul. Decided to annul it to even it up as I hadn't been sure, and that way I had annulled each end.
In professional games, or with proper ARs, you get the chance to change your mind, but not at this level. I know it undermined my authority but I was trying to be fair. There was carnage from the parents of Team B at me doing this. I actually spoke to the respect official who, rather than backing me up, explained why they were all having a go at me, because they felt I was being inconsistent (Team A had a yellow card by now so I certainly wasn't favouring them).
Anyway, should I just have gone with the penalties, even if I felt I had blown too hastily? The team and the managers were very good (or I couldn't hear the managers) but the parents were a bit raucous. I'm not so concerned about whether the decision on a penalty was right or not, but what should I have done when I realised it hadn't been a foul? (If the team who gain the penalty kick seem surprised and delighted, that makes me think twice. I expect the offenders to object so that doesn't influence me as much.) Match ended 3-2 to Team A. Actually a very good game and fairly tolerant on the pitch.

The Referee Store
For starters all too often parents are the poison in youth games. Block them out as best you can. As for the Respect Officer that’s a dereliction of duty on their behalf. It reads to me almost like that scenario where you get “I’m the captain. You have to talk to me” where they seem to think they have some privileged status and can give you a negative/derogatory opinion because if it.

In regards the penalty scenario, I have overturned in the past for many reasons, most often because of a late offside flag, and at least once where the attacker kicked his own leg (brought to my attention by neutral AR).

In this case, it’s a drop ball to the goalkeeper as play is in the penalty area.

For starters all too often parents are the poison in youth games. Block them out as best you can. As for the Respect Officer that’s a dereliction of duty on their behalf. It reads to me almost like that scenario where you get “I’m the captain. You have to talk to me” where they seem to think they have some privileged status and can give you a negative/derogatory opinion because if it.

In regards the penalty scenario, I have overturned in the past for many reasons, most often because of a late offside flag, and at least once where the attacker kicked his own leg (brought to my attention by neutral AR).

In this case, it’s a drop ball to the goalkeeper as play is in the penalty area.
Thank you Tealeaf. I'm feeling better already! I never usually hear the parents at all.

Maybe take a second or two more before blowing the whistle in future games.

Were the penalties the correct call?
If I see a little shove in the area or something else innocuous but nobody appeals then I'm keeping that whistle quiet. 😉
I didn't actually think they were the right call, which is why I rescinded them. There were appeals for everything all the time! :)

I didn't actually think they were the right call, which is why I rescinded them. There were appeals for everything all the time! :)
As is generally the case. :D
My point was though that if nobody appealed for either penalty (which it reads like?) then maybe just let play continue .. ;):)

Take your time.
Give yourself thinking time.
Remember there is a higher bar for penalties.
A push in the box “probably” needs to be on the player about to play the ball. If it’s off the ball you need to be 1000%.

Avoid overturning decisions if at all possible. An innocent midfield throw in fine, you can laugh it off with the benches.

But reversing a penalty- unless it’s an offside, or a neutral AR has seen a dive - just don’t. Don’t put yourself in that position ideally!

As refs, we have to suck up some difficult decisions. And as refs we shouldn’t be thinking about evening it up for the teams. We cannot control the types of decisions that come - if one team gets three pens a game, that is it! Explain and move on.

@MumRef - Firstly ss you have changed your decision before the game has restarted, you are completely correct in law. Well Done

Secondly, as other have said, give yourself a second or two before blowing. You can look again (in your mind's eye) to confirm the decision.

On the spectators, just ignore them. You did the correct thing and spoke with the Respect Officer. That is his role in the club. If they don't support you, consider letting the Safeguarding officer at the CFA know. If he won't support the referee, will he deal with spectators abusing players????
You could have told him to get them to calm down, or I will abandon due to their inaction. Put the emphasis on them to control the spectators.

The only development point I would suggest would be, after the 2nd decision, is to speak with both managers, explaining you have made mistakes and the correct decision has been made in both instances.

You didn't appear to get any dissent from the players or managers.

This is only your second season, so you are still in training.....

I did once as well. Thought I had a stonewall PK but was probably the only one in the vicinity of the park to think so. All reactions told me it wasn't a PK so went with the corner, as I blew the whistle after the ball had gone out. Weird to be tricked by your own brain.

Alternatively, had a game yesterday where I blew for a handball PK and I am still 100% sure it is a punishable handball but no one else saw it because they had a worse ange. Safe to say that ended with a few yellows as it was literally the last kick of the game

Thank you all. I had the same home team (who had gone out of the cup) the following week. The parents were good as gold (I think some had been banned!) and the game went very smoothly - mainly due to a 6-1 win to the home team!

If ever a situation where you should hold slightly on the whistle it’s this! Something I learnt in the last two years watching and being AR for some very experienced referees, just slow down and hold your whistle even for a fraction of a second before making your decision. Easier said than done!

Back