A&H

End of season review

Refollie

Level 5 Referee
Today marks the end of the season for me and probably a fair few of us, so here’s a bit of a season in numbers/annual review if anyone wants to add their own.

Middles: 20
Lines: 5
Yellows: 80 (including 22 sin bins)
Reds: 9
Postponements due to weather: 11!

The good:
One league cup final, one county cup semi final and one league cup semi final. Squeezed in 25 matches around childcare - which is more than I thought I’d manage. Would have been more of it wasn’t for the dismal weather between December and February.

The bad:
It’s probably the highest card-to-game ratio I’ve had in my 17 seasons as a referee. Partly down to poor player behaviour and partly due to my league putting me on the more ‘challenging’ fixtures.

The Referee Store
My stats are:

85 middles this year.
41 games as AR

When in the middle:
149 yellow cards🟡 (Average of 1.75 per game)
13 sin bins. (Average of 0.15 per game)
11 red cards🔴 (Average of 0.13 per game)

Games as AR: 41 games.
126 yellow cards🟡 (Average of 3.15 per game)
7 sin bins.
12 red cards. (Average of 0.30 per game)

(Just to be clear- my games as AR, all the cards are given out by the referee in the middle😅)

Last edited:
9 men's middles
15 men's lines
1 red, 16 yellows, 7 sin bins, 1 extraordinary incident report

14 women's middles
1 women's line
3 reds, 4 yellows

Appointed AR to finals in 3 different leagues :)

Can only give annual stats Apr-Mar

⚽ 20 Middles.
🟡76 yellows
🔴11 reds
🟡4 sin bins
🟡4 non playing cautions.
🔴0 non playing dismissals.

still got a few games left this season but since 1/7/22

⚽️ 69 middles + (16 lines)
🟨 121 (40)
🟥 18 (4)

Numbers in brackets are in addition to my own.

40 games
27 middles
26 🟨, 4 🟥
13 lines
Dread to think how many postponements November to March
7-6 promotion

22/23
Middles: 18
Lines: 18

Cautions: 58 (+3 manager)
Sin Bins: 6

Reds: 8 (+1 manager)
Penalties: 14
Card free games:

No card free games this year. Averaged 3.22 yellows a game, and only 0.33 sin bins. I'm very happy to use a sin bin so happy to take this as a positive that I have managed players well.

Pretty disappointed with my first year as a 4, felt hard done by and ****ed over by 2 notoriously tight observers. I was warned when they were appointed that they would be tough, and had suggestions about coming off the games, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt and thought good performances would reward good scores. Unfortunately not the case. We'll see how next year goes but I was close to jacking it in after the last and stopped refereeing at the beginning of April because of it.

Happy with my year as an AR finishing 96/934. Had dreams early on that I could be offered promotion when I was sat 2/821 after 1 observations, 8/821 after 2 and 28/846 after 3. Unfortunately my 4th game was pretty dull and offered no opportunities to assist above and beyond. So I scored bang average and this dropped me down.

22/23
Middles: 53
Lines: 12
Cautions: 86
SinBins: 20 (0.32 per game)
Red Cards: 11

Non playing cautions: 1
Non playing dismissals: 2

Very happy for my first full season, and second ever season. Being 16 and moving into open age early was definitely a challenge, but also been worthwhile. Nearly got my L5 with one development session left to attend, then onwards to 4 :D

⚽️ 204
Middles: 168
A/R’s: 36
🔴: 11
🟡: 43
The good….11 cup semifinals inc a National Cup semifinal, 3 cup finals & officiated in a game with over 40 million watching (BT Sport were contracted by Mola TV in Indonesia). Dennis Wise is the club President, Des Walker the Director of Football & Lee Hendrie did the halftime analysis in a full on studio 🤣. We were filmed in the changing room etc then it was like the Champions League doing the walk to the centre circle to do the lineup & handshake. No pressure then 🤣🤣

The bad….breaking my knee playing 8 a side & not realising then doing 11 games in 6 days on it…just thought I’d stretched something so lethered it with Voltarol before each game…ended up in a full leg brace for 6 weeks, only just out of it.

Averaged 8/9 a week mate…I run my own businesses & get 95% free time so prefer to ref than go running. I do at least 4/5 academy games midweek then 2 on a Saturday & 2/3 on a Sunday 👌🏻

He knows I’m always available so that helps 🤷🏼‍♂️🤣
Do lots at SSV for Stockport County….they have loads of games during the week as they have lots of different teams + evening games, they’re always looking for officials mate 👌🏻

Back