A&H

Dutch Referee Blog - Week 18 Laws of the Game Quiz 2022-2023

Week 18 Laws of the Game Quiz 2022-2023. Video for question 1 The next quiz will be published next Tuesday. You can always practise previous quizzes on this overview page. And after submitting your answers, you can see the correct answers immediately. Match situation after 23 seconds, where the referee plays the advantage. Quiz Laden…

Continue reading...

The Referee Store
Q4 , IMO, was one of the dumbest changes IFAB has ever made. And I’ll probably get it wrong on the field if it ever happens, but I’m kinda OK with that.

The trick to circumvent was the one I was referring to, Q5.
Law 12 says the player INITIATING the trick is cautioned.
As a practising pedant, I would argue that if the goalkeeper initiates the trick by flipping the ball up, only he should be cautioned, not both. Law 12 says the goalkeeper is to be cautioned if he initiates the circumvention but no mention of the defender.
Same question has just appeared in the Referee Observers' monthly laws test.

I'm slightly confused on Q1, when I see plenty of occasions at a range of levels, where a player makes a careless foul, considered SPA, but advantage is played and they are cautioned at the next stoppage.

Why is that not the case in Q1 here?

The trick to circumvent was the one I was referring to, Q5.
Law 12 says the player INITIATING the trick is cautioned.
As a practising pedant, I would argue that if the goalkeeper initiates the trick by flipping the ball up, only he should be cautioned, not both. Law 12 says the goalkeeper is to be cautioned if he initiates the circumvention but no mention of the defender.
Same question has just appeared in the Referee Observers' monthly laws test.
Surely it must be YC for the defender - but every day is a school day;)

I'm slightly confused on Q1, when I see plenty of occasions at a range of levels, where a player makes a careless foul, considered SPA, but advantage is played and they are cautioned at the next stoppage.

That used to be proper. It no longer is. A caution for SPA is not given under the Laws if advantage is played. (Many of us don't like that Law change, but it was made a few years ago.) If an R today is giving a SPA caution after playing advantage, he is wrong in Law. If he considered the challenge reckless, then a caution is permitted.

Advantage SPA is no caution- the YC downgraded - law change 3 (?) seasons ago. So you don’t see this now - advantage reckless is still YC;)

Back