A&H

Drop ball goal

Cheshire Ref

RefChat Addict
My work colleague threw this one at me when I came in today that he saw in Semi Pro game at weekend:

Red v Blue - Blue player is injured and referee stops play so he can be treated. Restart, drop ball around the half way line, the drop ball is un-contested. Red player lobs the ball over the goalkeeper who in attempt to stop it palms it into the net.

What are you giving? I know what this Level 3 ref did but will reveal later.

The Referee Store
Hell, the player who makes the initial lob... if he controls the ball then hits it downfield with no touch by GK? Goal. It had a second touch.

Hell, the player who makes the initial lob... if he controls the ball then hits it downfield with no touch by GK? Goal. It had a second touch.
I'm not sure why controlling the ball matters? He didn't though he simply hit it first time

I'm not sure why controlling the ball matters? He didn't though he simply hit it first time

Guessing because as we all know you can't score direct from a drop ball, so if "controlled" then kicked, it could be argued its no longer "direct" from the drop ball.

If GK touches as in op, then its a goal for me.

Team who scored "may" then let other team score, but then again they may not.......

Or the referee might remember something which wasn't quite right when he dropped the ball which forces a retake... :eek:

;)

Here’s another example of not knowing the “Rules”. :)

Blue v Reds. Blues attacking, CM passes to CF (who is onside). Red’s CAR raises his flag for offside but immediately lowers it after realising his mistake. No whistle from me. The CF miss-kicks and the ball ends up with the GK.

Meanwhile the CB had seen the flag then says to his GK that it was offside so the GK drops the ball and kicks it out of his area straight at the attacking CF.

CF says “thanks very much” to the GK and slots the ball in the bottom corner. Queue the rants from the Red team that it was offside.

I couldn’t help myself. I just had this confused but smiling look on my face as I trotted off towards the centre for the kick off, trying not to LOL.

@PinnerPaul hit this on the nose...

There are several "indirect" restarts, including the dropped ball. For the others (throw-in, IFK), they have to be touched a second time by a player to remove that "indirect" status.

The taker cannot touch those a second time because there's a specific exemption that the taker cannot touch them a second time before another player has touched the ball.

A dropped ball has no such exemption, it simply says that it's "not direct". Thus... the "taker" can touch it a second time to remove that "indirect" status.

The Futsal Laws word it really nicely and clearly:
If, after the ball has made contact with the ground, a player kicks it once directly towards one of the goals and the ball goes directly
• into the opponent’s goal, a goal clearance is awarded
• into the team’s own goal, a corner kick is awarded to the opposing team
If, after the ball has made contact with the ground, a player kicks the ball with more than one touch towards one of the goals and:
• the ball enters one of the goals, a goal is awarded

Back