A&H

Double yellow seconds apart

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
Had a first for a very long time today.

Half hour in, left back shouts for offside that I didn't believe was (no CARs or neutral) and stood where he was whilst calling.
Player subsequently scores and it's my fault.

"He's ****ing offside!"
Nope.
You're a disgrace you are.
Let that slide.
Get notepad out to mark score down.
"Open your ****ing eyes".

Blow whistle. Call player over, confirm name (name pre written in notebook) from player. Show yellow card.

He walks away, turns towards me..

"You're an absolute fanny, **** you".

Blow whistle again. Yellow still in hand. Out comes red and joins it.

Could have gone straight red, but decided on two dissent cards instead.
Captain says "why send him off, I told him to button it".

I replied "he didn't button it, and despite just been shown a yellow he continues to give dissent and name called too, so he lost, he's off. He had a chance to shut up when he was first carded".

The Referee Store
"He's ****ing offside!"
Nope.
Let that slide.
You can't let that slide
I replied "he didn't button it, and despite just been shown a yellow he continues to give dissent and name called too, so he lost, he's off.
Assuming you let him back on after 10 (or less, depending on the duration of the game) mins in the Sin Bin despite his previous caution? Unless the first Caution was C2 also

Having watched a West of Scotland game late last year I have the impression they let a lot more verbal go than we do South of the border. I'd have been emptying both benches, but I was told by the locals that it was normal weekly behaviour.

Second yellow not an issue and not relevant in my opinion.

"He's ****ing offside!"
Nope.
Let that slide.
Get notepad out to mark score down.
"Open your ****ing eyes".

More than enough in first part of your account for a straight red card.

Having watched a West of Scotland game late last year I have the impression they let a lot more verbal go than we do South of the border. I'd have been emptying both benches, but I was told by the locals that it was normal weekly behaviour.
When I first moved up here I was shocked by the amount of verbal that went on compared to down south. Dealt with it by means of carding. Then learnt along the way that it was just me that carding people and making it worse for me.

When I first moved up here I was shocked by the amount of verbal that went on compared to down south. Dealt with it by means of carding. Then learnt along the way that it was just me that carding people and making it worse for me.
It may well make things more difficult for you, but please don't accept too readily that your interpretation is wrong. The LOTG are quite clear. I doubt very much that the leagues will have lowered the threshold. I suspect the threshold of referees has by custom and practice become too high.

Reactions: Kes
I got called a fu**ing pr**k today... Then after the RC he v signed me as he walked off.
Totally shocked.... I thought the v sign had gone out if fashion.!!

Totally shocked.... I thought the v sign had gone out if fashion.!!
I get that quite often from the benches, as much as they like to think I didn't notice. Did you do an extraordinary report as well? Because that contitutes one imo.

I get that quite often from the benches, as much as they like to think I didn't notice. Did you do an extraordinary report as well? Because that contitutes one imo.
If it's in a break in play, by law, dismiss the perpetrator with a red card. If it's in play, red card and an indirect free kick from the touchline. The only time you'd need to do an extraordinary report is if they keep giving it some after you've dismissed them, or if it's after the conclusion of the match.

keep giving it some after you've dismissed them,
This is what I was aiming the extraordinary at. Bc the guy who got v signed was after the player had already been RC'd. Which means you could justify reporting them for offensive gestures after dismissal, which is (for those of us who regularly read the FA regulations out of interest, as well as their charges) a clear breach of FA Rule E3.1. which states that:
A Participant shall at all times act in the best interests of the game and shall not act in any manner which is improper or brings the game into disrepute or use any one, or a combination of, violent conduct, serious foul play, threatening, abusive, indecent or insulting words or behaviour.

It’s half the problem this regional variation. Some counties let some absolutely vile stuff go.

Back