A&H

Doing a “Harry Kane”

OnlyUseMeWhistle

RefChat Addict
Level 4W Referee
Made famous by Harry Kane, when a ball is in the air and one player simply backs into a jumping player, tipping them over and onto the floor, often onto their back/neck.

IFAB et al haven’t given any clear guidance as far as I know. My view is this:

If it’s intentional then it’s endangering the safety of an opponent and a red card.

If intent is unclear then it’s reckless and a yellow card.

Thoughts?

The Referee Store
The problem is it can be very difficult to judge when the attacker is backing in and when the defender is going over the top, so I think more would end up as cautions than red. Although perhaps where in operation VAR could take a closer look.

The problem is it can be very difficult to judge when the attacker is backing in and when the defender is going over the top, so I think more would end up as cautions than red. Although perhaps where in operation VAR could take a closer look.
Difficult but not impossible. I think you can take into account whether the attack looks back, his feet movement, and the defenders movement to make a fairly consistent judgement. It's mostly a professional issue anyway so VAR is in play most of the time

For what little it’s worth, our officials association made this a point of emphasis last year. We wanted to call the “undercut” a foul much more often. If nothing else, our region of then state wanted to be more consistent calling this a foul on the undercutter.

Back