A&H

Do you class yourself a easy going or strict ref?

Dave Mac

Obviously what we do varies from game to game.

But generally are you the type to blow for everything or do you let things go a bit more from time to time.

I try and let the game flow as much as possible as think there is nothing worse than hearing a referee blow every couple of minutes for a free kick. But I obviously crackdown when need be. I've only really done youth football thus far and find you sometimes need to let a few more things go to get the game going a bit. I've been really strict in a few games and it does send a message to the lads which I think at the younger age they sometimes take it on board a bit too much and you end up with a really lifeless game as they wont go in for any challenges etc. The adult games you really dont need to encourage them to put their foot in most of the time so try and crack down on them a bit more.

The Referee Store
I think we all let the game flow as freely as possible but some games this just isnt possible. Every game as you say is different. If they want to play silly buggers then ill too play silly buggers. If they keep shouting push in the back ref then ill start giving all pushes in the backs until they learn to shut their gobs and get on with the game

I like to use the first ten minutes of the match to see what the players will accept from one another (within my comfort zone, of course as I'm not going to be the referee of a rugby match!) in terms of minor fouls and the like and to give the players a basic guideline for what I'll accept. Based on this, I will shape my game to try and ensure that the players are protected and have an enjoyable match that can flow and isn't stopped all the time. It depends, mostly, on the temperature of the match.

Most of the clubs I ref know me now, so they know what I tolerate. I find that makes my life easier, because they won't push their luck :)

I play as much advantage as possible, but then again, once things start getting out of hand, I'm as quick on my whistle as anyone.

Difficult one to answer this, as each game is different. Where possible i try to let the game flow as much as possible, as i hate the sound of the whistle constantly. Some games though you just have to blow for everything

Back