A&H

Dissent and maintaining authority

The Referee Store
Usually its YOU WILL CAUTION (LOTG quote inserted here) for any form of bad-mouthing! :cool:

Have you been hacked again? :p:rolleyes:

I disagree on the caution. If your first incident is 87 minutes in and one numpty shoots his mouth off, I'd have brought the captain in and got him to tear a strip of gobby. It's not a mandatory, it's very much IOOTR and I'd have managed it.

/lightsbluetouchpaperandretirestohisdeckchairwithpopcorn

Going to disappoint you here.....

I couldn't argue against that approach......if it's been a tame match with no other cards then you could get away with a bollocking for that particular comment.

Likewise, I wouldn't argue against a caution either.

Yup. :)

By the same token, which was the point I (almost) made in my previous post, if, by that stage of the match, a referee had become quite irritated by persistent "borderline" dissent or perhaps snide comments here and there, instead of a bollocking or a caution, he might well be tempted to bring the red straight out for an "insult" like that. ;)

It's funny, but when I've been AR to some senior referees, as part of the pre-match instructions they have always said that on penalty decisions there has to be an appeal first.....

Discuss.

I have heard that as well. It is probably to ensure the game runs smoothly without players constantly getting confused. Because it is a KMD, most refs I have been out with have always maintained that if there are no appeals, no penalty

It's called 'refereeing for club marks'!

Basically it's about no surprises....even if you see an obvious infringement, if no one else sees it, then don't give it. Otherwise players/management won't understand why you've given it, and may adversely affect your match control and subsequently your club marks.
I am (was) one of those referees that MW mentions. I'd happily say it in my pre-match with or without an assessor present. Only on one occasion did an assessor query me on it, asking why I said no appeal means no penalty, and I simply explained that if ZERO players appeal for a penalty and I'm the only one that thinks it is, I'm almost definitely wrong. Players will appeal for anything and everything, so if they aren't appealing for a pen, it definitely isn't going to be given by me!

Jack, it's nothing to do with 'running smoothly'. Referees are human (I know, who'd believe that?!) and make mistakes. By not awarding the penalty, I'm preventing a mistake before it's happened. What I think I saw and what happened are seemingly different things. Player reactions are a funny thing sometimes...!

Padders, absolutely not about club marks. Yes, it's no surprise refereeing, but so is the awarding of a throw-in on halfway or defensive FK. Clear whistle, signal and possibly brief (2/3 word) explanation and no-one's surprised and the decision is correctly given.

100% agree @DanCohen17 , it's why I mentioned it as the OP stated there was no appeal. My first thought was "why give it then?". No one else picked up on it so I tried a softer approach...

It's funny, but when I've been AR to some senior referees, as part of the pre-match instructions they have always said that on penalty decisions there has to be an appeal first.....
Maybe they're still working from a slightly outdated copy of the Laws as this used to be required - from 1891 to 1896!

I've only been an AR once, and the instructions we were given was that if we something that we think is a penalty, that the ref hasn't seen, then to signal, hit the corner flag and let the ref deal with inevitable protests.

Back