A&H

Dermot Gallagher on the New Laws

The Referee Store
But nothing about what he said is a law change. That's how the law was always written. That's pretty concerning then.....
Actually it is a law change (and is listed as such by IFAB in the summary) as they have removed a section of wording previously in the guidance that has led to a larger proportion of handball offences also being sanctioned with a caution in past season.

Now, just handball offences preventing a promising attack or conversely used as a means of continuing a promising attack (or attempting to score) will attract that sanction.

Well, ok, technically there is a change in the wording - though he went on to explain it very badly and managed to imply that all handling is a yellow card.
Never really thought about the difference between 'prevent an attack' versus 'prevent an opponent from gaining possession'. Probably because the former is pretty much how it's generally been applied anyway :p

Reactions: ASM
I'm reading through Law 12 as we speak and I can't find any reference to this...?
Sorry, badly worded. Reference is to attempting to score by handball (page 86) so should have said by rather than or in my post.

Never really thought about the difference between 'prevent an attack' versus 'prevent an opponent from gaining possession'. Probably because the former is pretty much how it's generally been applied anyway :p
And that was the issue. Some countries were applying the previous wording literally and others as you describe. :)

Back