A&H

Delayed whistle

Alex71

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
Blue v Red

Red attacking - ball played into Red CF feet - lays ball off (off the FOP) - is then kicked on the foot by Blue CB

I decide foul - not sure if foul inside / outside penalty area

I don't whistle

I jog over to the CAR and ask him if the players were in / out the penalty area

Perhaps to my surprise he says inside

I then whistle and point to the spot - cue moan

From foul to whistle it took 6-7 seconds (ball out of play so I'm thinking I can take my time)

Defending team moan as they wanted instant whistle for foul recognition and then go chat to the CAR about the position of the foul

Hands up - I expected the CAR to say outside (regardless of where the foul was) - my bad for having low expectations

Fair enough moan from the team ..?

The Referee Store
Lol an honest CAR! Good on him. You took a gamble (asking the CAR) and it paid off. You lucky.... Lol

I'd be careful using CARs in that way because as you have identified yourself most of them will tell you what benefits their team.

Without NARs - be in as good position as you can, then you have just gotta be brave. Make your decision, strong whistle, indicate penalty/fk confident body language and prepare for somebody to be unhappy!

This is based on my CFAs view of how CARs should be used (as in don't really) so may differ from other counties.

Never ask a CAR about a key match incident. Secondly never be so far from an incident that you can't tell whether it is inside or outside the penalty area. Close down your proximity to play and change your viewing angle when action reaches the attacking third at each end of the field.

If too far to see, and to be fair, many pitches aren't marked well enough for in/out to be obvious - blow for foul and get there quick without taking your eyes on the spot on the ground. Gives you a second or two to decide on pen or no pen.

I'd say if your not sure if it was in or out but you know foul been committed give a freekick as a penalty you have gotta be 100% sure

Last edited:
Don't they play hoofball in the west riding then, Brian :rolleyes:
They do but our referees are fit enough to be there ;) Or convincing enough to sell the decision on their own without asking the CAR who is probably standing on the halfway line scratching his **** with the flag while trying to drink his can of Relentless and smoke his cigarette

...the CAR who is probably standing on the halfway line scratching his **** with the flag while trying to drink his can of Relentless and smoke his cigarette
Knew I saw you when I lined a Contrib game in Leeds...thought I'd bloody well got away with it and all!

OP - as said before, keeping an eye on the exact spot and sprinting there.
However, and this applies to penalties & goal/no-goal decisions, "if in doubt, it's definitely out"!!

Hi all - thanks for feedback & advice - 3 learnings from comments above :

1. Blow early (before going to the CAR)
  2. Sprint to the spot of the foul (on Saturday I was 20 yards from the foul on a very good pitch / visibility of the lines) while maintaining a visual on the blade of grass
  3. Expected the unexpected from the CAR and plan / take action accordingly !

Back