A&H

Dealing with a player after the final whistle

Tovadee

Level 6 Referee
Home team won the game 3-0. Some away players were unhappy with a few of my decisions.
Looking back, they probably had a point with one that lead to the 3rd goal. Defender went to clear with a big clearance but was closed down by striker. Ball hit strikers hand/arm by his side but was really close to defender, went onto score.
Could sense that away players felt aggrieved and went on to question nearly every decision for the last 20 mins.
At full time, I took my time getting my stuff together before approaching away side for match fee. Collected match fee and a player 'wanted a word'.
This said player went on to question decisions in the game such as the goal mentioned above, a caution for his captain and a penalty awarded against his team (keeper saved it at 3-0). Apart from the 3rd goal, I was happy with the decisions that I mentioned and overall in the game but he weren't having any of it. Told me "I've had a shocker" and "it's people like you, why teams fold". I was laughing inside at that comment. Also said the team would report me. All was said in a non threatening or abusive way but this chat/confrontation annoyed me none the less.
Has anyone been in a similar situation before? Looking back I should have told him where to go.

The Referee Store
No good comes from this sort of discussion (with players)

Obviously didn't see it, but a close range hit on the hand or arm, doesn't sound deliberate to me?

Last edited:
Your decison sounds correct to me. The defenders will bitch all day long but a ball blasted at a player from a yard away IS NOT handball.
I would however NEVER approach EITHER team after a match. The team bring the money TO ME for just this reason.
If I'm forced to I will knock on a changing room door and wait. I WILL NOT go in (even if invited). It will only invite dissent.

Thanks for the replies. For me, the handball wasn't deliberate but because of the moaning that came from it, has made me question that decision.
I collected match fee pitch side and was then approached. To be honest, it was pretty much a one way conversation as I didn't want to bite and explain every decision.
I know I should of walked away but didn't

Had an incident after a game on Saturday where a player approached all three officials in the centre circle immediately after the final whistle (I was lining). His team had been beaten 1-0 by bottom of the league and the game had been a real challenge to officiate with lots of flashpoints throughout and two mass confrontations towards the end of the second half, all caused by mouthy players on the losing team.

Said player basically approached the referee as I was running over..."You were f*****g s**t today, ref, you were absolutely s**t, this is your f*****g fault,". Player then saw me and said "And you, lino, you were f*****g awful today, you are s**t, it's your fault we've lost this, you are all a f*****g joke."

Now this was the first time i've ever heard such out and out abuse after the final whistle, and this was coming from an U18 academy player for a well-known football league side. I literally didn't know what to say so I just said 'Thanks'. After that there was another mass confrontation, all caused by this player and his skipper who were hell bent on getting stuck into the other team. A few seconds later the coaches came to pull them apart so we just walked back to the changing rooms.

I can sometimes understand players' anger when there have been some poor decisions in the match but I know that each official had a good game and decision making was consistently good throughout. Obviously the scoreline had nothing to do with the red card after 50 minutes and the absolute wonder goal on 83 minutes, and was solely down to us officials!

There's no debate, it wasn't deliberate. If the ball hit a defender like that I wouldn't of give a penalty. Walk away then let him think.

Just sour grapes you did great.

As @SM says I've learnt the hard way that while it may be tempting to want to explain your rationale, resist the temptation.

They won't listen, won't accept it and it won't change their opinion so I really wouldn't waste your effort.

Tovadee, why were you collecting match fee from away team

Typo....or is that how they do it in that there hertfordshire

Now this was the first time i've ever heard such out and out abuse after the final whistle, and this was coming from an U18 academy player for a well-known football league side. I literally didn't know what to say so I just said 'Thanks'. After that there was another mass confrontation, all caused by this player and his skipper who were hell bent on getting stuck into the other team. A few seconds later the coaches came to pull them apart so we just walked back to the changing rooms.

If you're still on the pitch, then why didn't he get a red card for it?

I was with a ref a couple of weeks ago who handled this really well. As soon as the player (or spectator, or anyone) started he very politely stopped them and asked if they were the manager. He then said he could only discuss any issues with the manager in private, apologised for this and walked on. Now I can see how that could also get ugly, but thought that's definitely worth a try.

As Regal notes above, every time I've ever tried to explain anything after the game - to players, managers, spectators or whoever, it's only gone badly. They aren't interested in what you have to say, they just want to have a go. I make myself realise this before I waste my energy now!

Firstly, I wasn't reffing and as the referee had clearly heard it as well I was in no position to seek a card for it from the referee who had decided to take no action.
Secondly, while I would agree with you in principle, this situation was really pretty hostile and it was probably best for us at that point to get out of there.
Thirdly & finally, the other assistant on the day, a chap who has ran a few seasons in the PL, was of the opinion that it was best to simply report the club for failing to control it's players and to mention all of the incidents, including the closing comments from the player, in the match report. I'm certainly not going to argue with him having just passed my basic course in December '14!

I had exactly this said to me after the final whistle. I had booked the player for dissent a few minutes earlier and warned him as he continued to tell me how poor I was that he would get a very silly second caution/red card if he continued. After the whistle he took the time to come up to me, tell me I was a S**t referee and I red carded him.
Later I felt I may have over reacted but do you know what, he was nasty for the entire 90 minutes and I should have dealt with him much earlier rather than letting him continue. Lesson learnt.

Back