A&H

DBS

TiredAm

Level 7 Referee
Hi there. I’ve just reffed an u16 game but I can’t seem to add it onto the whole game system (3 cards given) I did some further investigating and found out it’s because my dbs isn’t added. I already have a dbs from when I did some volunteering at a secondary school. I asked some other refs and lawyer friend I know if that is fine or do I need to spend the £50 odd quid on a new one. They told me that it’s fine but now I don’t think it’s very fine. What should I do.

The Referee Store
Should be inside 2 working days, but you won’t be able to without engaging with your RDO so even if you can’t do it due to the WGS system not allowing you to, you’ll cover yourself as the CFA will then know about it

You need a separate DBS for every “entity” you work for.

As a teacher, I have a DBS through my school, but I also need (and have) another one through the FA for refereeing.

(As a referee, I don’t think you will have to pay for the DBS. My county pays for referee DBS s)

As others have said, DBS's from other employment or volunteering typically aren't eligible for refereeing.

Technically speaking you shouldn't have been appointed to the game, and certainly not a youth game. Contact your RDO ASAP to get it addressed.

These issues often happen when a referee turns 16 (I think that’s the age you need a DBS from), but qualified at an earlier age. CFAs can’t really keep up to date with everyone who needs a DBS check, and for a lot of young referees it will be the first DBS they ever have to apply for. This lack of communication can lead to confusion. Leagues are none the wiser to any of this unless informed by the referee, meaning they’ll still keep getting appointed to games.

The only alternative is if you get signed up to DBS Update service. This is the only way to make your DBS portable to other organisations. It costs £13 a year and is often used by freelancers that do lots of work with schools etc. That way you just give a code to the organisation and it automatically allows them to check.

If you don't do that, then it is a separate one for each organisation. I had quite a collection at one point, but just the 3 at present.

The only alternative is if you get signed up to DBS Update service. This is the only way to make your DBS portable to other organisations. It costs £13 a year and is often used by freelancers that do lots of work with schools etc. That way you just give a code to the organisation and it automatically allows them to check.

If you don't do that, then it is a separate one for each organisation. I had quite a collection at one point, but just the 3 at present.

You will need a football DBS and football clearance around child protection, including the course if not already done.
Ive been on dbs update service for 10+ years but its not accepted by the fa.

I can't understand why there isn't a central DBS registry that you can link to yourself. Having to have separate ones for Football, Cricket, School etc makes no sense to me...

Back