A&H

Dangerous Play

Gave a yellow card a while back where a player tried a bicycle kick and smashed the other guy in the face.

I feel like without context, you'd be tempted to give a red, but that's why referees are there. They're the human element of the game and are in a position to feel the context of the challenge.

The Referee Store
"smashed the other guy in the face" I am a big fan of context but this screems red card the way you have put it. I am srugeling to think of any context this will not be a red. Would love to read a context that justifies a yellow.

"smashed the other guy in the face" I am a big fan of context but this screems red card the way you have put it. I am srugeling to think of any context this will not be a red. Would love to read a context that justifies a yellow.

Happened this week in the Europa League. Raul Jiminez of Wolves tried an overhead kick and completely knocked out Kenan Jajric of Slovan Bratislava. Outcome was a caution, player went to hospital and was kept there even as his team flew home.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/raul-jimenez-knocks-out-slovan-20837112

1573312108224.png

Again that looks like SFP to me. Did you see it and was caution the correct decision?

Why are we looking for cards these days, thats an honest challenge from both players!!! Play on in my day!!! Red? Geez, i'm coming to watch some of your games!!!!

Again that looks like SFP to me. Did you see it and was caution the correct decision?

My last training session has that incident down as a caution. I personally said 'red', but apparently not.

Screenshot_20191110-071545__01.jpg

If putting an opponent in a hospital by a kick to the head this was is not endangering their safety then I don't know what is.

Even if they are not hospitalised they would have a massive concussion

View attachment 3838

If putting an opponent in a hospital by a kick to the head this was is not endangering their safety then I don't know what is.

Even if they are not hospitalised they would have a massive concussion
This happens all the time and hardly ever ends in a hospital visit, yes, its a modern foul, yellow may be applicable these days, but red is very very harsh!!!

The overhead kick is an interesting one these days. The laws as they are currently written pretty much outlaw the overhead kick if there's a defender anywhere near the attacker. But there's clearly no appetite to outlaw what is one of the best things about football so it sits in a sort of limbo.

I personally wouldn't be showing a red card for an attempted overhead kick and I don't think any of the players or managers would expect a red.

Back