A&H

Cup Final (small rant)

HertsFinest

Next Weeks Ref
Was assisting on a cup final this morning.

Great game. 2-1 in the end and both good teams.

When the losing team equalised there was some contention over the goal. Throw in came in, took very slight touch and went in the goal. I saw the touch as did the ref so we waved for a goal.

All 11 players start screaming which results in the keeper running 50 yards to the ref in the centre circle screaming at the top of his lungs 'you're a ****ing cheat ref, you dirty ****ing cheating *****'

Let's all have a guess what the referees course of action was?

The Referee Store
My guess would be he 'didn't hear it properly - or couldn't identify the player' shouting the verbals.

As such, nothing would've been done and kick-off would've been taken as normal?

EDIT: I meant that was the referee's excuse for not sanctioning it, not that he genuinely didn't hear it.

Last edited:
To add more detail, ref was facing keeper the whole time who ran full length and shouted the comment 5 yards from the referee. I heard it clearly word for word from 50 yards away.

After the game the ref recited word for word what I thought he said.

My guess would be he 'didn't hear it properly - or couldn't identify the player' shouting the verbals.

As such, nothing would've been done and kick-off would've been taken as normal?

EDIT: I meant that was the referee's excuse for not sanctioning it, not that he genuinely didn't hear it.

I see!

No his excuse was even better.

'It's a cup final, we just want to keep all 11 men on the pitch.'

To make matters more unjust, the keepers team went on to score a second and won the game!

I see!

No his excuse was even better.

'It's a cup final, we just want to keep all 11 men on the pitch.'

To make matters more unjust, the keepers team went on to score a second and won the game!

Now you know how he got the final.....his club marks were probably outstanding!

Was it a League final or County?

Now you know how he got the final.....his club marks were probably outstanding!

Was it a League final or County?

League.

He was brown nosed beyond belief post match too.

Put me off doing finals. I will never get a middle as I may dare to apply the laws and 'ruin the game'

League.

He was brown nosed beyond belief post match too.

Put me off doing finals. I will never get a middle as I may dare to apply the laws and 'ruin the game'

Unfortunately most leagues care more about keeping their clubs happy than they do about having strong referees.......they make the right noises about referees applying the LOTG but when the ill disciplined clubs start to rack up cards and suspensions, they would rather drop the referee than lose the club.......

Had similar in this morning's cup final on the line. Keeper shouts VERY loudly (on separate occasions) -
- You 're a f****** cheating c***
- Put the flag up you f****** w****r
- Oi lads don't worry this lino is f****** s***.

Course of action. Of course, none. Not even a word.
Grrrr....

It's pathetic. During the season the league says 'yup, nailed on red, well done, don't take any crap' etc etc then as soon as its finals week they turn to a joke.

And the referees that pander to it don't deserve the badge.

Had similar in this morning's cup final on the line. Keeper shouts VERY loudly (on separate occasions) -
- You 're a f****** cheating c***
- Put the flag up you f****** w****r
- Oi lads don't worry this lino is f****** s***.

Course of action. Of course, none. Not even a word.
Grrrr....

Did you flag ref over?

Then flag it, then he has no choic me but to either do something or ignore it. He wouldn't be able to pretend he hadn't heard it.

Then flag it, then he has no choic me but to either do something or ignore it. He wouldn't be able to pretend he hadn't heard it.

Exactly.

Raise the flag, step onto the field of play, and stay there until he comes over to find out what's going on. What he does after that is out of your control, but at least he will not be able to claim that he was unaware what had happened.

Back