A&H

County Cup Finals

The Referee Store
So just had an email come through appointing me to a county cup semi final. Great! Until I read the email properly. It's an under 16 game and on a Sunday. Now there's 2 problems with this:
1: Told the county at the start of the season that I'm unable to referee on Sunday's
2: it's a youth game, of which I've not done a single game of all season

Now I feel that there's someone in the county more deserving than me, someone who actually officiates at youth level. As it turns out, the missus is actually away on this Sunday in question, so won't be dragging me round the shops.

Do I turn the fixture down?

Answers on a postcard......

@Ross I've done quite a few youth games this season (mainly U16), it wouldn't bother me that someone who hasn't reffed any youth games gets a semi/final.

I say do it, especially if the Mrs is away

I've just been appointed as an AR in the Saturday Surrey FA Lower Junior Final in May. I wasn't expecting it, nevertheless extremely chuffed with the appointment.

Me and a group of about 6 people have been appointed for the Dorset girls county cup finals. No idea what age but will be my first go at doing a county cup final. Should be good.

Anyone had the nod this season? I didn't even have a first round game this year. I can only assume due to reffing on Saturday youth league and being level 7.

Got a nice email at the weekend from mid essex league to ask if can do div 5 OA final as AR.... i'm particularly chuffed as its my first season. All my previous cup finals (as player) ive managed to persuade the mrs to come and watch ... on this occasion i think i may have my work cut out in that dept !

Congrats to all.
Slightly different, but I just got an email to ask me to act as 4th Official in a junior version of the community shield in my district (new season is just about to start here in the US). Very surprised as I've only been here since September and will be back in the UK again for good later this year, but nonetheless pleased and excited.

Congrats to all.
Slightly different, but I just got an email to ask me to act as 4th Official in a junior version of the community shield in my district (new season is just about to start here in the US). Very surprised as I've only been here since September and will be back in the UK again for good later this year, but nonetheless pleased and excited.
What leagues do you officiate on bud? I'm back out in NJ in a couple of weeks!

Got a nice email at the weekend from mid essex league to ask if can do div 5 OA final as AR.... i'm particularly chuffed as its my first season. All my previous cup finals (as player) ive managed to persuade the mrs to come and watch ... on this occasion i think i may have my work cut out in that dept !
Hi Richard, I thought I recognized your name as I was scrolling past - I'm going to be on the opposite line for that match! I've had 2 1/2 yeas as a referee, but having only moved to Essex just before Christmas, I was similarly surprised to be given the nod. See you there!

I am happy but also a little sad, I was in the middle for a mens county cup semi final trophy and on the line for the womens semi which was great, so I was not expecting a final appointment, to my amazement got an email saying I had been chosen for a final. Silly me presumed I would have some sort of role to play in the womens final as I had officiated on all of the previous rounds so maybe 4th official or assistant. No I am 4th official on the mens premier cup which is great, however cant help feel someone more deserving as only did 3/4 rounds of county cup on mens.

Only one of the 4 officials in the Womens final has even refereed a womens game this season which I found odd, I know the manager of both the finalists and they are worried the referees wont know anything about the womens game and how they play it which could potentially spoil the final. (Both teams womens super league Northern division teams 3rd tier)

Ha nice listening other areas get a free t-shirt, we get an email saying we strongly recommend you by a new kit for the final through A+H at £50!!

Hi Richard, I thought I recognized your name as I was scrolling past - I'm going to be on the opposite line for that match! I've had 2 1/2 yeas as a referee, but having only moved to Essex just before Christmas, I was similarly surprised to be given the nod. See you there!

ah Graeme , excellent... look forward to meeting you then :) will be my first cup final that i can guarantee i'm not on the losing side !

15 games this season so far, 7 County Cup appointments. Had a final 2 seasons ago and you don't usually get more than one County Final in 10 years in our County. The news that I'm finally going at the end of the season might sneak me an appointment to a junior final.

Is the 10 year rule pretty standard @Brian Hamilton ? I did a middle last season but didn't know that would be my lot for 10 years!!!! :(

Back