A&H

County Appointment, first ever, help?

IrkRef

lkref
Just got a lovely letter through post off Birmingham County telling me of my appointment on the line for an U16 Semi-Final. As this is my first season, I've never done this before, do I have to wear any particular kit? i.e badges and stuff? And what do I go to the game in? And do I take my flags or should the ref in middle provide these? Cheers!

The Referee Store
Congrats Joe, nice one! I'd suggest

Definitely wear a kit with your county badge on
Go to the game looking 'smart'. This might be anything from jacket and tie, to nice trousers / polo shirt to a smart tracksuit .. best to check the expectations of the ref (who should contact you in advance of the game in any case)
Arrive at least 45 mins beforehand, longer if the ref requests
Take your flags but ref will almost certainly provide
Have a huge grin on your face as it's a great appointmet

Just got a lovely letter through post off Birmingham County telling me of my appointment on the line for an U16 Semi-Final. As this is my first season, I've never done this before, do I have to wear any particular kit? i.e badges and stuff? And what do I go to the game in? And do I take my flags or should the ref in middle provide these? Cheers!

Possibly check that the venue has changing rooms before turning up smart. In know both U16 semi final grounds in Herts didn't have changing facilities. Take your flags just in case.

Well done mate , firstly dont worry about anything , hopefully the referee will be in contact prior to the game to go over the finer details ie ....what to wear , where and when to meet and what kit to bring ! that should settle the nerves a bit ?

As soon as you get in the changing room it will be like any other game , but make sure you enjoy every minute as you never know when the next one will come your way :)

Top work chap.

Had my first county cup final this season. As mentioned above try and speak to the ref before to see how he plans to turn up dress code wise etc. I would also suggest take every bit of equipment if you can. Better to be there on the day with three sets of flags to pick from.

Finally I'll disagree with @Beezer its not like any other game once you get in the changing room. Its much more enjoyable as its a cup final its a great occasion and you'll have another assistant and referee to enjoy it with. I must say from my county cup final that was the stand out thing. Having 3 others (we had a fourth official appointed as well) to chat and enjoy the day with. Its great to have that bit of company on the day your not normally used to.

Be brave, and remember you got this game because your a good ref so trust your judgement.

Back