A&H

Contentious goal kick (AR)

Tom_R

Level 5 Referee
Is there a way to signal for a contentious goal kick without looking like offside? I had a line yesterday and I held the flag above my head to get the referee's attention and then lowered it to signal a goal kick. However the other assistant said he though I signalled for offside. Any pointers?

The Referee Store
Is there a way to signal for a contentious goal kick without looking like offside? I had a line yesterday and I held the flag above my head to get the referee's attention and then lowered it to signal a goal kick. However the other assistant said he though I signalled for offside. Any pointers?
What you describe is the most used signal for this purpose in my area. The key is to not retain the vertical signal too long, otherwise it will be seen as an offside offence signal.

They key as mentioned above when you signal for goal kick is to be right on top of the goal line, (not literally :) ). Ideally you should already be there when you raise the flag to get ref's attention. And you should hold the flag up until you get the ref's attention (or he realises/knows its a goal kick) then lower the flag, however long that takes.

If there is a possible offside on the goal line as well as contentious goal kick there is no good way to distinguishing the signals. The signal process for both is the same and there has to be further communications. For example after making eye contact with the ref, shout or just mouth "goal kick".

For example after making eye contact with the ref, shout or just mouth "goal kick".
^^

At one time there was an effort to differentiate the signals, I believe by having the AR turn sideways for GKs and face the field for OS. It didn't stick.

But as @one says, ARs are allowed to talk. If the R signals for an IFK, just use your voice to let him know it is a goal kick.

While in the ideal world we're at the goal line to tell if the ball is over the goal line, here in the real world the ball is sometimes faster than we are, and we just have to deal with it.

I agree about ARs talking when appropriate, don’t want a running commentary! I don’t often have appointed ARs but without buzzers, a clear shout of “No” or “Good” from AR on an appeal for offside really helps in keeping your eyes on the ball/players.

While in the ideal world we're at the goal line to tell if the ball is over the goal line,
While this helps selling a decision for a goal kick it's doesn't solve the signal confusion issue if there is an attacker on the goal line who can possibly be judged for a close offside. Then we have the AR in the correct place for both decisions and signalling the correct signal for both decisions as well.

These occasions don't happen very often, preempting the possible confusion and proactive verbal communication is just good assisting.

^^

At one time there was an effort to differentiate the signals, I believe by having the AR turn sideways for GKs and face the field for OS. It didn't stick.

But as @one says, ARs are allowed to talk. If the R signals for an IFK, just use your voice to let him know it is a goal kick.

While in the ideal world we're at the goal line to tell if the ball is over the goal line, here in the real world the ball is sometimes faster than we are, and we just have to deal with it.
I always thought that a goal kick should be signaled with the left hand and corners and offside with the right. Sometimes slopping corner signals and sloppy goal kick signals are hard to differentiate as well. This would solve it but, oh well.

I always thought that a goal kick should be signaled with the left hand and corners and offside with the right. Sometimes slopping corner signals and sloppy goal kick signals are hard to differentiate as well. This would solve it but, oh well.
You are right (well, left, but you know what I mean)

The logic I have always heard about why we signal both with the right hand (in a standard diagonal) is that it leaves the AR more open to the R and thereby allows better eye contact. The times where there is confusion between OS and GK very rare.

(I'm struggling to see how an AR's CK/GK signals get confused. They would have to be extraordinarily sloppy.)

With CAR's who obviously aren't empowered to give fouls, I often tell them to use the "foul signal" if they want to tell me the ball has gone out of play but don't know which way the throw/GK/CK should go. A general out of play signal is definitely missing from the approved selection, but in the absence of that, agree with all the above - you just need to give the signal as clearly as you can and clarify with your voice/other hand if needed.

The flag straight up is the signal the ball left the field; the direction is the second signal. But yes, since the flag straight up is really the generic "stop play" signal to the referee, it does nothing to convey why.

The differential between the signals is for an offside you stand still with the flag up, for a tight goal kick you raise the flag then side step left to level with the goal area. I'm not really expecting any participants to understand the difference, but there is a difference.

The differential between the signals is for an offside you stand still with the flag up, for a tight goal kick you raise the flag then side step left to level with the goal area. I'm not really expecting any participants to understand the difference, but there is a difference.

Interesting--but not in the magic book and so far as I know not taught in the US. Everything I've been taught is that the GK signal should come at the goal line (as the AR should be following the ball to the goal line).

Reactions: one
Struggling to figure out if meant what you have written. If you meant move right to goal line then what if you are already level with the goal line when the ball goes out of play (which ideally you should be)?

If you actually meant move left to goal area line then this is against the lotg. After raising flag you have to signal the lotg goal kick signal which is a forward flag standing next to the corner flag. Signalling the lotg requirement won't be possible following your advise, and additionally can confuse the referee.

Struggling to figure out if meant what you have written. If you meant move right to goal line then what if you are already level with the goal line when the ball goes out of play (which ideally you should be)?

If you actually meant move left to goal area line then this is against the lotg. After raising flag you have to signal the lotg goal kick signal which is a forward flag standing next to the corner flag. Signalling the lotg requirement won't be possible following your advise, and additionally can confuse the referee.
I meant, and actually said, level with the goal area, perhaps I should have said level with the edge of the goal area. I know what the law says, but sometimes things can and should be amended if doing so will avoid confusion. And that practice is common in England, you'll see above that @JamesL said similar.

Back