A&H

Congo v Guinea

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
Congo got a free kick that I feel was not justified.
Player got good pass through and they wasted possession as Congo player was "brought down" that played it through.
Corner came from free kick.

Corner was taken and bent out of play.
Quite clear actually.

But assistant kept flag down until ball was caught by the keeper.
Very delayed flag in the scheme of things.
Just don't get it.
Can understand for the offsides... But he is literally standing on the line and has no obstruction to not flag straight away.

The Referee Store
I don’t fault the AR for the brief delay on flag on a CK. ARs are still being asked to break years and years of muscle memory by delaying some flags. They are, understandably, concerned about the possibility of flagging too soon, so it slows them down. If we are going to have VAR and delay flags, we’re going to get those extra delays sometimes.

Difference I find between offsides and this out of play from a corner is he is static and looking straight down the line for the corner.
On an offside he will more likely be running, not necessarily directly in line, judging when the ball is played to the millisecond and whether attacker is beyond defender. Some are a lot more factual than others mins..
This corner is bread and butter to officials.

Difference I find between offsides and this out of play from a corner is he is static and looking straight down the line for the corner.
On an offside he will more likely be running, not necessarily directly in line, judging when the ball is played to the millisecond and whether attacker is beyond defender. Some are a lot more factual than others mins..
This corner is bread and butter to officials.
You’re entirely missing my point. I don’t disagree that it was likely a clear enough call for the AR to flag immediately. But ARs in games with VAR are in a position where they are fighting dozens of years of habit for timing of flagging. Instead of just flagging, they have to think “do I delay.” If they do all (or mostly) games with VAR, the new normal becomes habit. But it takes time. Are the ARs doing these games routinely doing games with VAR? I’m guessing many of them are not. So it is completely understandable that there are going to be unnecessarily delayed flags—not because they aren’t sure, but because they are being overly careful about avoiding flagging when they shouldn’t.

You’re entirely missing my point. I don’t disagree that it was likely a clear enough call for the AR to flag immediately. But ARs in games with VAR are in a position where they are fighting dozens of years of habit for timing of flagging. Instead of just flagging, they have to think “do I delay.” If they do all (or mostly) games with VAR, the new normal becomes habit. But it takes time. Are the ARs doing these games routinely doing games with VAR? I’m guessing many of them are not. So it is completely understandable that there are going to be unnecessarily delayed flags—not because they aren’t sure, but because they are being overly careful about avoiding flagging when they shouldn’t.
Sorry.
You're right. Misread it.
I get what you mean.

Back