A&H

Comms kit hire

Soc3032

Hi.
I don’t own a comms kit.
I’ve been given the chance to referee with 2 assistants and a 4th at an academy where their u21’s normally have 2B officials. I am not that level.
Is there anywhere that hires comms kits. Players / coaches will be expecting officials to have them just because at their level they normally do.

The Referee Store
Hi.
I don’t own a comms kit.
I’ve been given the chance to referee with 2 assistants and a 4th at an academy where their u21’s normally have 2B officials. I am not that level.
Is there anywhere that hires comms kits. Players / coaches will be expecting officials to have them just because at their level they normally do.
2B referees don't normally have Comms kits.

2B referees don't normally have Comms kits.
They don’t usually but we have (I think) 2 level 2B’s in my county and they both have comms kits. However, that is to do with their levels in the womens game. One of them is a 2W womens and the other is a FIFA Referee in the womens game.
But I didn’t think that 2B got comms kits normally.

Hi.
I don’t own a comms kit.
Just for your own protection - may we enquire what level you are? The reason for asking is that rules and protocols are in place for appointments including friendlies, so make sure your appointment is within them.

Majority of pro teams u21’s games are covered by 2b’s and they use comms in their games.
2B's are not issued with comms kits.

Curious as to what level ARs you have if you're a 7. Comms kits are a valuable tool with the right experience and training. Otherwise you're just using them for the sake of it.

2B's are not issued with comms kits.

Curious as to what level ARs you have if you're a 7. Comms kits are a valuable tool with the right experience and training. Otherwise you're just using them for the sake of it.
Level 3 and a level 4. AR.
No idea why I have the middle but I’ve been appointed.

I didn’t know that the clubs provided referees equipment. The ones I’ve been to never have. Struggle to get toilet paper in the changing rooms 😂😂
Academies are slightly different.

For example back when coloured kits were outlawed they would be required to provide a coloured kit to the refs if they were in a black kit.

It will also surprise you to learn that competition rules state that the home club have to supply flags.

I guess academies are wanting as close to the real thing so have said they'll provide. I am certain, having worked with a number of 2bs they aren't lugging round a Comms kit. Try aren't allowed to use them on NLS and NLN.

Fwiw I don't think it's long before Comms kits are extended to NLS and NLN but for now it's not allowed.

7, covering a league 1 u21’s game and the CFA are aware and authorised.
I don't mean this disrespectfully, but are you are sure this isn't a mistake? There's a reason that L2Bs normally referee U21 games, and that is because they can be extremely fast and physical, and not easy to referee. I used to struggle with the pace of them as a L3, and I'd obviously passed the fitness test. There's no way a L7 should be in the middle for one of these games.

Comms are great for effective team work, I don't understand why there is a negativity around them being used. There is nothing from the FA to say you can't use them however, if someone does have any recent documents stating this from the FA then I'll bow down and kiss your feet 🤣

Comms are great for effective team work, I don't understand why there is a negativity around them being used. There is nothing from the FA to say you can't use them however, if someone does have any recent documents stating this from the FA then I'll bow down and kiss your feet 🤣
I think the main point is that giving people comms when inexperienced in how best to effectively communicate then it may lead to issues and cause more hassle than it's worth

You're definitely not allowed to use them below step 1 though

I think the main point is that giving people comms when inexperienced in how best to effectively communicate then it may lead to issues and cause more hassle than it's worth

You're definitely not allowed to use them below step 1 though
I presume that rule doesn’t count for friendlies and cup games?
A level 2B in my area uses comms in our local step 5 and 6 league friendlies

And I’m sure I’ve seen a 2B or 2A use them which involved a step 2 or 3 team during a cup game.

I presume that rule doesn’t count for friendlies and cup games?
A level 2B in my area uses comms in our local step 5 and 6 league friendlies

And I’m sure I’ve seen a 2B or 2A use them which involved a step 2 or 3 team during a cup game.
Just because they are using them doesn't mean they are allowed to, it just means they haven't been caught yet 😂

They should only be used in competitions when they are used in every game, otherwise competition integrity can be compromised. Take a scenario where a team don't get a clear penalty because the referee is blocked off and it isn't credible for the AR to come in, there is no comms so he has no way of discreetly telling the referee it is a penalty. The following week the team that didn't get the penalty commit a foul in the same part of their own penalty area that the referee again doesn't see, but this time the AR informs him over comms that it is a penalty. Two identical situations but different outcomes due to having technology in use in one game but not the other.

The other problem at lower levels is credibility, you will stand out like a sore thumb as you will be the only referee wearing them. They will see a referee and his team with professional equipment that they are used to seeing on the TV so they will expect a better than normal performance, and if you don't deliver it they will be all over you, even more than usual. Not dissimilar to wearing badges that you haven't earned. You also open yourself to ridicule, I once watched a step 6 game where the officials wore comms, they were lining up in the tunnel before the game and one of the captains said "f*** me lads, the Backstreet Boys have let themselves go", you really don't want to be the subject of jokes before a ball has even been kicked.

Last but not least, you aren't trained to use them. When they were rolled out at higher levels the officials had practical training on using them, I was still a 3E when they got given to National League officials and was offered that training. If you don't know how to use them properly they can be more of a hindrance than a help.

There is also the factor of comms going down. Other than the newer sets given to EFL officials and above (exception for those within the Elite Referee Development Group), comms are notoriously poor with a delay and sections of transmissions cutting out. I do not understand why those below Step 1 even want to use them having not had the training and it not being expected.

Just because they are using them doesn't mean they are allowed to, it just means they haven't been caught yet 😂

They should only be used in competitions when they are used in every game, otherwise competition integrity can be compromised. Take a scenario where a team don't get a clear penalty because the referee is blocked off and it isn't credible for the AR to come in, there is no comms so he has no way of discreetly telling the referee it is a penalty. The following week the team that didn't get the penalty commit a foul in the same part of their own penalty area that the referee again doesn't see, but this time the AR informs him over comms that it is a penalty. Two identical situations but different outcomes due to having technology in use in one game but not the other.

The other problem at lower levels is credibility, you will stand out like a sore thumb as you will be the only referee wearing them. They will see a referee and his team with professional equipment that they are used to seeing on the TV so they will expect a better than normal performance, and if you don't deliver it they will be all over you, even more than usual. Not dissimilar to wearing badges that you haven't earned. You also open yourself to ridicule, I once watched a step 6 game where the officials wore comms, they were lining up in the tunnel before the game and one of the captains said "f*** me lads, the Backstreet Boys have let themselves go", you really don't want to be the subject of jokes before a ball has even been kicked.

Last but not least, you aren't trained to use them. When they were rolled out at higher levels the officials had practical training on using them, I was still a 3E when they got given to National League officials and was offered that training. If you don't know how to use them properly they can be more of a hindrance than a help.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. In Wales we use them on T1 & T2 and Women's T1. We have all been trained on how to use them, when to speak and when to remain silent, key phrases etc. People assume that using them is just as straightforward as having a chat between the 3 of you, when really its all about short-sharp pieces of information.

Back