A&H

Coloured Kits - Would you wear one?

Ross

Forum VAR
Staff member
Level 6 Referee
FA Referee
If, by some miracle, the FA allow us to wear coloured kits as grassroots level, would you indeed wear one?

Was having this discussion t'other night, and a lot of people said no, as it would mean extra costs buying kit etc

The Referee Store
I may be unpopular, but if my some miracle as you said allowed us, then yes I would be in support of them. But not willy nilly, they should only be allowed should the kits clash, so black at all times unless the referee found they clashed with the other teams in which case they would have a yellow/lime (primary) to change into. One extra kit (for those that wanted it) wouldn't be too much of a hardship, but for the moment I think we're happy with black and have no need for a change. But maybe one day..

Here in Dublin we can wear any colour once it doesn't clash with the teams or goalkeepers. I have black, green, yellow, blue, fluorescent yellow, orange and fuscia (pink) and wear them all. Wearing black all the time would be boring. :D

Short and simple answer there Lewys :)

I can't make my mind up about coloured kits to be honest. You would probably need to buy every colour. Imagine going out as a team of 3 all in different colours. That would look awful!

I don't know Ross, colours would be good. But as I said, especially if you work in teams (L4 +) then they should stipulate that you have to get a yellow (for ease) as an alternative if you wish to have one. That then negates the 'colour mish-mash' that you bring up.

I love the idea but like you say couldnt see it working where neutral assistants are used. A Level 7 like me isnt going to go out and buy all colours of kits

If that decision was taken, and if there was a need then yes.

If not, I'd be happy as I am.

I don't see why we couldn't have a system like the SFA. 1 set of its in different colors that are approved by the FA, and ref's would be excpected to wear those particular ones.

Coloured kit is fine if it's affordable quality and I agree with 99% of the comments in favour of keeping black.
I don't see why wearing black is boring!! It makes a short chap like me look slim and stealth!!!

Thinking of colour clashes and there are a few, I think the club who insist on wearing a kit that clashes with the refs should be instructed by the competition to supply a quality referees top.

Yeah, in Canada we have three potential colours to wear and in the following order:

1) Black
2) Yellow
3) Red

Outside of those colours, we may not wear them and any referee who is serious about their career in the game has at least one of each colour. We are, however, starting to allow blue because the CSA has moved over to the Umbro who don't have a yellow in the particular kit we're using.

I'm proud to wear black!

However if push came to shove then I guess I could live with wearing blue but there is no way come hell or high water I'm going to wear pink, it ain't for me.....

The problem will be referee phones assistants or emails to confirm game, "referee" we will be wearing the pink kit "assistant 1 " ok no problem "assistant 2" sorry i don't have that coloured kit only black or green "referee replies" but the home team are in black so we cannot wear that and i dont have a green kit.

This will happen a lot as you will not be able to force a referee to buy all colours , however i would still like to wear a coloured shirt

Reffari said:
I don't see why we couldn't have a system like the SFA. 1 set of its in different colors that are approved by the FA, and ref's would be excpected to wear those particular ones.

This exact scenario would be the solution. In Norway we have a deal with Umbro that everyone is expected to wear.

Referees purchase kit from a dedicated supplier (in the case of Oslo it's from a large sports shop) and then claim the cost back from their affiliated club (who get a certain amount of cash per referee each season from the FA).

Each time a new kit is released by Umbro for use on the higher leagues these stores sell a heavily discounted pack before the season start. Last years pack was made up of all three shirt colours of kit (yellow, black, grey) in long and short sleeved, three pairs of shorts, three pairs of socks, a 4th Official tracksuit, a pair of astro boots (as we play a summer season as well as using 3G pitches regularly), a warmup tshirt and an Umbro bag.

All for about £200.

Last year we had a pot of about £250 per referee. It got me three shirts, three pairs of socks, two pairs of shorts and a full tracksuit.

Back