A&H

Closed Dates

JH

RefChat Addict
Having only previously been on one league, going into next season I will operate on 3, including a supply league as assistant referee only.

With the supply league I may only get 1 or 2 appointments per month.

If I give my availability to the supply league then I need to close those dates with all other leagues - but then I will have weekend after weekend of no game on my Saturday league, just to get one appointment for the supply league. Is this just part and parcel of operating on multiple leagues or is there a better way to work your closed dates?

A&H International
Having only previously been on one league, going into next season I will operate on 3, including a supply league as assistant referee only.

With the supply league I may only get 1 or 2 appointments per month.

If I give my availability to the supply league then I need to close those dates with all other leagues - but then I will have weekend after weekend of no game on my Saturday league, just to get one appointment for the supply league. Is this just part and parcel of operating on multiple leagues or is there a better way to work your closed dates?
You should commit a certain number of games per month to each depending on what you want to do.
E.g. 2 x supply AR, 1 x sat1 1 x sat2. Then tell the secretary for supply AR I am available every other weekend. And the other two I am available 1 in 4. Then close the dates each month as well. This will help them plan you in for a game and conversely will prevent you getting double booked.
It might risk you being the odd weekend without a game but if thats the case you can keep an eye out for other games or offer yourself up to the other leagues.
Its not easy being on so many leagues and will require you to be all over your admin. Best of Luck.

Reactions: JH
You don’t have to wait for appointments from the supply league before getting games on other leagues.You tell the refsec of the supply league when you are available, and can referee on the other leagues on the other weeks.
Suppose you give availability to the supply league for weeks 1 & 2. You can then give the other leagues weeks 3 & 4.

When closing dates with County FA, do you close based on availability as you would on leagues or based on appointed games?

When closing dates with County FA, do you close based on availability as you would on leagues or based on appointed games?
Always close your dates with CFA's when you know you will not be able to officiate a match. Normally, CFA's cup have priority over other competitions (including Supply league lines), so unless the date is closed they would be expect to do their fixtures. Declining to do another match, is a NO NO and could lead you to being disciplined.

If you are on a promotion path, failure to close dates at CFA level is a black admin mark and could mean that they decline your promotion.

Always close your dates with CFA's when you know you will not be able to officiate a match. Normally, CFA's cup have priority over other competitions (including Supply league lines), so unless the date is closed they would be expect to do their fixtures. Declining to do another match, is a NO NO and could lead you to being disciplined.

If you are on a promotion path, failure to close dates at CFA level is a black admin mark and could mean that they decline your promotion.

So I've just sorted my dates for August and the whole month I am either away or have dates open for my leagues, so I should just close the whole month with my CFA?

No, you keep your dates open with CFA even if on a league match as if you are appointed to a county game this takes precedent and you league will release you from any fixture you are on.

However if you are unavailable, close with CFA. Just dont go reffing on days you've closed with CFA as it is that which might land you in hot water.

No, you keep your dates open with CFA even if on a league match as if you are appointed to a county game this takes precedent and you league will release you from any fixture you are on.

However if you are unavailable, close with CFA. Just dont go reffing on days you've closed with CFA as it is that which might land you in hot water.
Thanks, I didn't know to keep CFA dates open even when they are open with a league.

When I get an appointment do I close with CFA? That's what one league tells me to do.

Thanks, I didn't know to keep CFA dates open even when they are open with a league.

When I get an appointment do I close with CFA? That's what one league tells me to do.

No, like @JamesL has said, the CFA has precedent and can take you from the league match up to a few days before the date. The league have to release you (whether they like it or not) and the County Cup match is the more senior. Closing the date could cause you issues and a black mark against you, which may mean you get less of these in the future.

Of course, the league wants you to close your date - they don't have to find a replacement! - but this is the wrong approach, while you are a L7.

No, like @JamesL has said, the CFA has precedent and can take you from the league match up to a few days before the date. The league have to release you (whether they like it or not) and the County Cup match is the more senior. Closing the date could cause you issues and a black mark against you, which may mean you get less of these in the future.

Of course, the league wants you to close your date - they don't have to find a replacement! - but this is the wrong approach, while you are a L7.
Got it, makes it difficult when there is conflicting info, league emails come with big text "YOU MUST CLOSE THIS DATE WITH THE COUNTY FA"

Regarding county cup appointments, when I registered for this season I put that I would like to officiate mens and boys football I believe - are these preferences referring to county fixtures, or will the county put me on any county fixture? Is there a way to change preferences after registration?

There's a 4 day rule, this means that if you are appointed to a higher level game in the order of precedence 4 or more days before the game you must take that higher game. If you turn it down and subsequently referee any other game on that date, and get discovered, you are likely to face an FA charge.

If you are appointed to the higher game less than 4 days before kick off it is different, and the higher authority must ask the original appointing authority to release you, they are not obliged to do so but usually will.

I have been taken off league games and appointed onto county games. I also seem to have my appointments changed at late notice as I am quite flexible. But if I close off a date and then reopen it how would that work?

I have been taken off league games and appointed onto county games. I also seem to have my appointments changed at late notice as I am quite flexible. But if I close off a date and then reopen it how would that work?
No problem, for a valid non football reason. If you did it to avoid a CFA appointment, then there may be questions. Doing it to much, may also restrict you getting plum appointments.

Back