A&H

Clatts and his advantages

I understand the first one
  • Foul seen
  • Attacking player goes to ground
  • Likelihood of advantage lower
  • Blows whistle
Simples

Yep, that's how I saw it. For Mowbray to call it a disallowed goal when all Man Utd players stopped on the whistle was ridiculous.
Keown just as bad for the Delaney yellow card, on first showing he thought yellow harsh, on 2nd he decided it could have been a red.

Senior AR had a great game btw, couple of very close calls he got spot on.

The Referee Store
If we apply the LOTG to the letter, Rooney could have seen straight red for his reaction to not being given a penalty in the second half!

The new law where you give an IDFK when a player due to be cautioned gets involved in play seems like it will be very hard to manage, do you tell the player he's getting carded? How does he/she know not to join in? It's going to get messy.
My reading (pg 84/85 of the new Laws) suggests that ONLY applies to someone who is to be sent off, not someone who is to be cautioned:

Advantage should not be applied in situations involving serious foul play, violent conduct or a second cautionable offence unless there is a clear opportunity to score a goal. The referee must send off the player when the ball is next out of play but if the player plays the ball or challenges/interferes with an opponent, the referee will stop play, send off the player and restart with an indirect free kick.

Is there another paragraph elsewhere that suggests the same for cautions that I've missed?

You're right. So the player on a 2nd caution might as well have another pop if there's an advantage at least to stop the attack.

Is the 6 seconds 'law' still in place ? on three occasions in the first half Hennessey kept the ball for much longer than that length of time (one was 22 !!!). Also goal kicks regularly taking nearly a minute.

Football needs Futsal type laws bringing in to keep the game moving, not Americanisms of Basketball and Football ....sets etc

You're right. So the player on a 2nd caution might as well have another pop if there's an advantage at least to stop the attack.

But you wouldn't play an advantage if you were about to issue a second yellow unless the ball was literally about to be slid into the net...at which point the player about to be carded wouldn't have a chance anyway - any advantage would need to be that obvious a goal scoring opportunity.

I thought they had taken out an unnecessary 10,000 words rather than add some in.

The new law where you give an IDFK when a player due to be cautioned gets involved in play seems like it will be very hard to manage, do you tell the player he's getting carded? How does he/she know not to join in? It's going to get messy.
As stated by Alex, this only applies when the player is to be sent off, not cautioned but I don't really see this as either difficult to manage or messy. There's no requirement for the player to be told or for them to know " not to join in" - you just have to stop play if they do. Don't forget this was brought in to prevent the often discussed but rarely seen scenario where a player who was due to get a second caution, goes on to materially affect play or even score a goal. Now that would have been messy.

In various discussions on this in the past, some have said they would have found some excuse or other to stop play anyway if a player on a second caution got the ball and started attacking but the Laws didn't explicitly say this could be done. Now they do.

Last edited:
Back