A&H

Chesterfield v Wigan

Spireross

Was at the game today as a spectator and something happened that got me wondering if the official made the correct call?

A Chesterfield player was running with the ball down the wing in the opposition half, he took on his marker and beat him only for the defender to grab his shirt and pull him back, the referee played advantage and the Chesterfield player continued his run into the area, at this moment he was then fouled again by another defender. The thing that confused me was the referee then pulled it back for the free-kick instead of awarding the penalty. What would you do in this situation? Personally i think i'd be giving the penalty.

The Referee Store
If he was fouled in the box after the advantage it would be a penalty. However, I'm assuming that the challenge in the penalty area the referee didn't think was a foul so brought it back to the original foul outside the box as the advantage didn't accrue.

Yeah i though the same but the challenge in the box was as nailed on a foul as you can get. Wigan were later given a penalty for the pretty much exact same foul.

I'm with Jacko on this. Foul A outside the PA, waiting for play to continue, Foul B inside the PA a second later? That's a penalty.

So either the ref didn't think the second was a penalty (bad view perhaps), or he blew the whistle before it happened (I'm assuming you would have noticed if that happened though).

Wigan were later given a penalty for the pretty much exact same foul.

In my opinion there is no such thing as the "exact same foul".

I have to agree with other posters - only logical explanation is the referee (rightly or wrongly) didn't consider the second challenge to be a foul.

I'll let him off with a bad view ;) worst thing is that would have made it 3-0 instead we lost 3-2 after being 2-0 up in the 81st minute

In my opinion there is no such thing as the "exact same foul".

I have to agree with other posters - only logical explanation is the referee (rightly or wrongly) didn't consider the second challenge to be a foul.
Touché, not the exact same foul then but the same style ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back