A&H

Chelsea Vs Arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooseybaby

Retired big bad baldy in all black!
No complaints about the result, Chelsea were seriously poor! :mad:

Commentator praises Xhaka for his muturity and how he conducts himself these days, only for moments later for Xhaka to do Xhaka things by sparking a late square up in the corner by preventing the ball being returned to Mendy for Chelsea goal kick. Gets away with a talking to by Michael Oliver.

Arteta - Spent most of the game out of his area and stalking up and down the touchline. Only on one occasion saw the 4th official move towards him to pull him back. Even the commentator near the end of the game said he thought Arteta was going to join in as he was on the line and within touching distance of the play.

The Referee Store
No complaints about the result, Chelsea were seriously poor! :mad:

Commentator praises Xhaka for his muturity and how he conducts himself these days, only for moments later for Xhaka to do Xhaka things by sparking a late square up in the corner by preventing the ball being returned to Mendy for Chelsea goal kick. Gets away with a talking to by Michael Oliver.

Arteta - Spent most of the game out of his area and stalking up and down the touchline. Only on one occasion saw the 4th official move towards him to pull him back. Even the commentator near the end of the game said he thought Arteta was going to join in as he was on the line and within touching distance of the play.
I think the touchline thing has almost become an unwritten rule, even into grassroots. As long as they are doing it just issuing instruction rather than for aggressive reasons, dissent etc then just let them get on with it

Felt the ref did a fairly good job today.

Got to praise refs when they do it well! :)

Klopp is the master at ignoring everything, squaring up to officials and even escapes bans! No chance Arteta will get told off for giving instructions to players.

I think the touchline thing has almost become an unwritten rule, even into grassroots. As long as they are doing it just issuing instruction rather than for aggressive reasons, dissent etc then just let them get on with it
When I did my first game as 4th official on the Conference, and that is going back 8 or 9 years, I was told by the other officials and the assessor to apply very light touch with the benches. If they are outside of their technical area only get involved if they are at risk of getting too close to play or blocking off AR1, otherwise leave them to it. Obviously if they then start ranting or confronting each other you need to get involved, but generally the expectation is, or at least was, apply a very light touch.

If I'm on the line it's remarkable how often I don't see that it was a player of the other side that got the last touch for a throw-in. "Sorry, can't see past you."

I begin to think that there is some sort of unconscious bias among the referees. In 42st minute Cucurella is "physical" when tackling Saka. 50/50 in my view bit nothing given, play on, fair enough. Seconds later, Saka is similarly "physical" when tackling Cucurella to get the ball back. Foul given, yellow card for Saka. No consistency whatsoever from the same referee in the same game.

I begin to think that there is some sort of unconscious bias among the referees. In 42st minute Cucurella is "physical" when tackling Saka. 50/50 in my view bit nothing given, play on, fair enough. Seconds later, Saka is similarly "physical" when tackling Cucurella to get the ball back. Foul given, yellow card for Saka. No consistency whatsoever from the same referee in the same game.
You don‘t know what angle the R had and what he saw. Your idea of what was similar may not have anything to do without knowing what the R saw, which makes it a huge leap to start throwing around words like bias.

Saka has an earned reputation of diving and going down easily.

I've seen studies saying people wearing red were more likely to get a positive decision, or refs were likely to give a foul simply because a tackle was was shown on the reverse angle.

Your post about Saka's "reputation" proves my point.
No it doesn't. I really rate Saka, he has the potential to be a great player, but he has started throwing himself over at the slightest contact. That isn't down to bias, unconscious or otherwise, rather referees just not buying it.

Those are fan posts from a lot of people who clearly don't know the rules.

Martinez clip doesn't show the whole video, he might have already been fouled. You can clearly see AT already playing advantage just after the start of the video. Both players had hands on or around each other, always going to go the Goalkeeper's way.

A penalty for diving??!! Yes it's theatrical but any qualified official would know that that is an IDFK.

Saka falls over quite theatrically, doesn't mean its not a foul but there's not a massive amount of contact from Mings. He's trying to take the ball away from goal, not too much chance of getting a decent shot away.

McCarthur has eyes on the ball, never once looks at Saka. VAR isn't able to issue a Yellow Card as many people know but maybe on another day it may be a Red, down to the Officials on the day.

Don't know if any other members feel the same way?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a ref, what I would recommend is you downloading the Laws of the Game app for your device and reading it. It's helped me understand the Laws and I can now list the law broken when respectfully berating the officials and the marital status of their parents at birth. 😉

Seriously though, Saka's challenge was a petulant one in retaliation for not getting the free kick. If the ref would have let it go and not booked Saka, the next challenge could have been worse and a player could be injured. Read some of the other areas of the forum it is educational and it also shows that the future of the game is in good hands all over the world.

You don‘t know what angle the R had and what he saw. Your idea of what was similar may not have anything to do without knowing what the R saw, which makes it a huge leap to start throwing around words like bias.
What was disappointing with this phase of play is the lino had a great view of it and didn't communicate the foul to the referee. The angle on the replay a few seconds later showed it was a foul and showed a very similar view of the lino as it was the touchline cam man angle.

Ref's yellow for Saka was surprising as his tackle wasn't worthy of a yellow. You talk about simulation, another classic example, player knew what he was doing to get best reaction from the crowd and worst consequence for Saka.

Having said that, that was probably the only part of the game which ref + team didn't communicate and the rest of the game was handled really well. Can't think of any 'issues' in the match which is great for once haha

What was disappointing with this phase of play is the lino had a great view of it and didn't communicate the foul to the referee.
We don’t actually know that. With coms, the AR may have through the com and the R just didn’t accept the recommendation.

Ref's yellow for Saka was surprising as his tackle wasn't worthy of a yellow. You talk about simulation, another classic example, player knew what he was doing to get best reaction from the crowd and worst consequence for Saka.
I think it was more the nature of the challenge, referees have alarm bells ringing when a player is annoyed at not getting a foul and then immediately goes into a challenge.

Did you take issue with the post saying Saka had a reputation for diving?
I had an issue with the same guy responding to every single post with the same trope and then backing it up with fan posts. Saying Saka has a reputation for diving is something the can be discussed in a referee forum, as that's a refereeing-related situation. What that guy was doing was the whining of a fan, nothing more.

I'm sure there are plenty of Arsenal-centric sites where he can post his whining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back