A&H

Charge challenge for ball?

The Referee Store
Well in that case, I need to apologise for one of my red card decisions last season...

Answer to the question for OP is yes for me.

But in terms of the tweeter post. What IFAB is saying is just been made more confusing by adding extra unnecessary information.

Basically what they are saying is an offence when making a 'genuine' challenge for the ball (no holding etc) has the same sanction as attempting to play the ball. This is regardless of if a penalty is awarded or not. By adding that bit it creates a twist in the mind that makes it harder to understand.

Last edited:
What is an example or examples of someone challenging for the ball that is not considered "attempting to play the ball"? What are scenarios that they are trying to NOT make red cards here? Thanks

What is an example or examples of someone challenging for the ball that is not considered "attempting to play the ball"? What are scenarios that they are trying to NOT make red cards here? Thanks
I believe what is intended by the language is really a blatant, deliberate foul, such as simply taking out an opponent’s feet from behind. The core idea is to distinguish between a cynical play and at least arguably legitimate effort to play defense

Back