A&H

Challenge after shot

Yoda_72

Should a Penalty be given if a challenge is marginally late after the player has taken a shot that was saved?

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Should a Penalty/freekick be given if a challenge is late after a pass/advantage was played?
It's definitely an option, it's the reason referees will talk about using a "trailing eye".

You mention advantage in your question, which is the reason the foul might not actually be called - if the pass is completed and it leads to a better situation, play advantage instead.

It's definitely an option, it's the reason referees will talk about using a "trailing eye".

You mention advantage in your question, which is the reason the foul might not actually be called - if the pass is completed and it leads to a better situation, play advantage instead.
Thanks - So should a Penalty be given if a challenge is marginally late after the player has taken a shot/or crossed it to a team mate?

Thanks - So should a Penalty be given if a challenge is marginally late after the player has taken a shot/or crossed it to a team mate?
Generally yes. A penalty is likely to be a better result than almost anything other than the ball going into the goal (particularly at grassroots level), so you're usually better off blowing and giving the spot kick.

Because a free kick is "less good" than a penalty, there's more room for the possibility that letting play continue will be better than the FK - you just have to develop a sense of judgement on this as you gain expereince. The main thing to remember is that you always have a moment or two after the contact to scan the pitch and see what's likely to happen, don't feel the need to make an instant decision.

Should a Penalty be given if a challenge is marginally late after the player has taken a shot that was saved?
From the time a foul is committed you have a few seconds to decide if the fouled team benefit from playing advantage over calling the foul. Now if during that few seconds the moment (of advantage) arrives, be it a fraction of a second later, or two seconds later, you play advantage regardless of if you signal it at that moment or not. There is no going back from there.

For example if the pass is on the way to a team mate who has an open goal in front of him immediately after the foul, and you assess this is better than a penalty then that is advantage played and if the team mate has a howler it's their problem.

Having said that although you have a few seconds to decide, in the penalty area waiting more than say half a second is creating a problem for yourself. Generally the time it takes to put the whistle in your mouth is enough to decide if you want to play advantage.

In your example if the ball is already on target when the foul happens, get the whistle into your mouth and by then you know if it's goal or not. It can't be advantage if it's saved. If it's a pass, 99.99% just calling the penalty is the best option.

Have you deemed it to be a foul?
Or is it the natural momenteum which occurs in a contact sport?
Is it credible to give it?
is it in tandem with your foul recognition thus far? i.e would it be a surprise?

not saying this is in stone, but is it 0-0 ? close?
would giving it be game changing?.

there is no definate yes or no, too many variables. It could be given, Should it be given, is another matter

In my head it’s a foul - if shot goes in great - but just because a player is fouled after taking a shot doesn’t make it any less a foul - expand thinking to outside 18yd area - and expand “marginally late” (whatever that is) to one/two seconds - just because the attacker got the ball away (wherever it goes, advantage or not) doesn’t stop a foul - in fact nothing can downgrade a foul (it happened), surely its how you act upon it … even acknowledge the foul by showing the appropriate card maybe, or or …

In my head it’s a foul - if shot goes in great - but just because a player is fouled after taking a shot doesn’t make it any less a foul - expand thinking to outside 18yd area - and expand “marginally late” (whatever that is) to one/two seconds - just because the attacker got the ball away (wherever it goes, advantage or not) doesn’t stop a foul - in fact nothing can downgrade a foul (it happened), surely its how you act upon it … even acknowledge the foul by showing the appropriate card maybe, or or …
If the foul happens after the ball has gone out of play then you can only take disciplinary action for it. The restart is for the ball out of play.

What I think is missing in the discussion (or perhaps I missed it above) is the concept of trifling. The same contact by a defender may be trifling if the shot has already been taken, but. It trifling while the attacker is kicking the ball. That results in a bit of a higher standard for a foul after the shot is taken.

I've always looked at the nature of the late tackle. If it is reckless or used excessive force, and therefore a card is coming out, I'm always going to give the free kick unless the shot goes in the goal or was out of play at the time of the foul. If it is just a "normal" foul I'm far less inclined to give a free kick, unless of course the foul somehow affected the shot, which is highly unlikely if they got it away cleanly.

If the foul happens after the ball has gone out of play then you can only take disciplinary action for it. The restart is for the ball out of play.
Agreed - that wasn’t my point, as much as “a foul is a foul is a foul” - agreed you can “play on” and that will affect the restart …

Players seem confused by the ball is out of play and you can't give a free kick.
Had a ball go out for a throw-in and then a player pushed another over and I cautioned him and told them to take the throw, I had a few players whinging that they could do whatever they wanted after the ball went out.
Yes, you can, but you will still be cautioned.

Players seem confused by the ball is out of play and you can't give a free kick.
Had a ball go out for a throw-in and then a player pushed another over and I cautioned him and told them to take the throw, I had a few players whinging that they could do whatever they wanted after the ball went out.
Yes, you can, but you will still be cautioned.
Or sent off as off the ball or ball out of play incidents have a lower tolerance.

Similar for two sequential offences by opposing teams. Players seem to think restart is for the one with higher sanction. But it is for the first offence. The most common one is a careless foul immediately followed by VC retaliation by the fouled player. After you show the red card, giving the free kick the other way surprises almost everyone. Good verbal communication before giving the direction of the free kick helps avoid any issues.

Last night, just inside the penalty area, attacking team had possession. Dribbling with the ball away from goal the attacking player took a kick to the ankle, dropped a knee but regained himself and then continued to dribble away from goal.

In my head I was rereading all these threads!

I waited a second then blew for the foul and awarded the penalty.

Lots of 'discussion' that he had the ball and I should allow advantage. I explained that the advantage from the foul would be a penalty not a player dribbling away from goal.

As for 'advantage', the defending team said I had clearly never seen this lot take a penalty. They missed.

Here you go. Penalty given after pass. Comments?

2:37:49.

Pen for me because anywhere else on the field you'd give it.

1663039912924.png

That is completely different as there is no shot, and certainly no doubt that the ball was still in play. A clear penalty for me, but would need assessing if he had got a shot on goal away and then got taken out.

Back