A&H

Celebrating With Fans...

Jacob Walukiewicz

So a Nottingham Forest player was just sent off for a second yellow after a goal for celebrating with fans.
What are peoples thoughts on this law and have you ever seen it applied at grassroots?

The Referee Store
That law is there for a reason, and whilst it may sometimes seem harsh there have been several cases of player celebrations causing crushes and injuries to spectators in the professional game.

I haven't penalised at grass roots, but I did once in a contrib game years ago where the scorer jumped into the stand and sat down at an empty seat. I'd have been twitching anyway, but given it was an empty seat right in front of the FA assessor I was waiting for him with a yellow in my hand when he came back.

It's all about spectator safety/crowd control, so I think anyone cautioning for this at grassroots level is fundamentally misunderstanding what the law exists for. Same for the shirt-removal aspect, although I think that would be an easier sell as that law has been well known for years where the entering the crowd law seems to be less widely known.

It's all about spectator safety/crowd control, so I think anyone cautioning for this at grassroots level is fundamentally misunderstanding what the law exists for.

It would be an unusual scenario at grass roots level but you are correct in your comments re safety/crowd control. I understand that professional players and teams are briefed on this by match stewards and police. The ironic thing is that everyone knows it's a caution yet still complain when the yellow card come out!

everyone knows it's a caution
What is it that everyone knows is a caution? Celebrating with fans? Because I don't know that it's a caution (perhaps because it isn't - at least not in and of itself). Not unless it also involves climbing onto a perimeter fence, gesturing in a provocative, derisory or inflammatory manner or is in some other way excessive.

@Jacob Walukiewicz have a read of Law 12 then come back with an answer to your own question.

Give a man a fish - you'll feed him for a day (the answer). Give him a net ....... (LOTG and knowing how to find the answer).

By doing this you'll a) learn the answer to your question and b) prove @RustyRef wrong (or right)

Specific part of law below - you can't go into the crowd without climbing on the perimeter fence ...

A player must be cautioned for:
• climbing onto a perimeter fence

Specific part of law below - you can't go into the crowd without climbing on the perimeter fence ...

A player must be cautioned for:
• climbing onto a perimeter fence
You can jump over it ;):p
Additionaly what about the situations in which the player is still within the perimeter fence but can still reach fans.

Of course you can. Other people have already mentioned some ways but there's also the fact that not all football pitches have a perimeter fence.

The perimeter fence thing would seem to just be an application of them causing danger to themselves - I'd definitely argue that it's distinct from entering the crowd.

It doesn't matter how you get into the crowd, the premise remains the same in that at levels where there is a crowd there is a risk of a crush as people move to celebrate with the player.

At senior levels referees would be castigated by the assessor if they didn't caution for going into the crowd, whether he climbed over the barrier, jumped over it or simply walked up the steps.

Back