A&H

Careless, Reckless, Excessive Force (Tackles)

CA

Level 4 Referee
Words that are hammered into us by our RDO's on the Basic Course, but what do you interpret the words to mean? What would you consider careless, reckless, or using excessive force? Just curious to see how it differs from person to person! :p

The Referee Store
Careless: Clearly making an attempt for the ball but slightly mis-timing the tackle
Reckless: Foul with some sort of obvious movement towards player/was never going to win the ball
Excessive force: ?

That's probably nothing like what we were taught :)

This might not be word perfect, but I think I can remember what was said on my basic course.

Careless=
An attempt to go for the ball, did not mean to commit the foul, had eyes on the ball only, that sort of thing. They were only trying to go for the ball, not trying to get the players as well.
We were also told that after 3/4 (own tolerance level), they should be cautioned for persistently infringing the laws of the game. Obviously, after having been warned. A perfect example of this is Paul Scholes. A lot of his fouls (as long as not sliding) are careless, and I have been to matches before were the referee has warned him 4 times, and then cautioning him! This is also when a referee cautions someone, and points to 3/4 points on the pitch, and shows a number of fingers (e.g. 3 fingers), to show that they have committed 3 fouls, and that is why they are being cautioned.

Reckless=
An attempt for the ball, but doesn't consider the safety of the opponent, e.g. sliding tackle. It includes un natural movements to commit the foul, e.g. stretching the leg out to trip the opposition. Also, 'tactical fouls', e.g. tripping an opponent to stop a counter attack.

Excessive force=
Does not consider the safety of the player, does not need to use that force, had no consideration for the player, and placed the opposition player in danger. This also includes how much control they have of themselves, e.g. 2 footed tackle.

I could've wrote longer explanations, but I could go on forever! And some may sound similar, but they are quite hard to distinguish in words, easier to show on a video!

Jojo would have to agree with what you've said there

Agree with JoJo as well, we are taught that it is all about the risk to the player in possession.

Careless: A genuine attempt to get the ball.
Reckless: An attempt to get the ball, but with little regard to opponent's safety.
Excessive: Definite risk of injury to opponent with no regard to safety.

So, we are told to judge the speed of the tackle, the force used, and the type of tackle attempted. So sliding from the side, but on the ground as opposed to flying through the air with studs showing/From behind/The speed the attacker was travelling at and the speed the defender attempted to tackle - ie player has ball at feet, and is 'strolling' with it as he looks for a pass, defender comes in at full sprint and kicks ball away, but flattens the player at the same time, simple yellow for reckless. Defender comes in fast, slides in with studs showing - straight red!

What we have drummed in to us though, is that making contact with the ball does not mean it can't be a foul tackle!

"I got the ball ref!"
"Yep, but he's now got six stitches in his calf, here's your card!

Or my favourite:
"But that's my first one ref!"
"Yep, your first yellow card too, make sure it's your last eh?"

In terms of persistance, a player who is genuinely committing careless tackles gets:
T1: Free kick against
T2: Quiet word (that's twice now fella, watch yourself)
T3: Admonition (stop the game, public talking to, using hand signals 'No more!"
T4: Card

Depending on the severity of the tackles, you can skip one of the stages, and get him earlier if you feel it will aid the management of the game.

Back