A&H

Buffon leaves his mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made this point earlier. And I agree totally, if its me, you or the game am watching in the park on Sunday
But
This is 6 of the top officials, not just in England, Europe, but, the entire world.
Sanctioning the original foul is surely basic. Oliver is fantastic, and he had a very good game last night, and no, I will never be in that pressure situation with millions watching, last 5 secs of play and giving that pen and sending off one of the worlds legendary goalkeepers. But, that referee team is out there for a reason. Because they are the best. To fail to punish the original foul "because of the circumstances" is one thing thats meant to separate "them" from the mere run of the mill refs which are "us"
Yet you refused to accept 4 of the best Scottish referees made a basic error in the lead up to a goal in Scottish premier game (i think Celtic vs Hearts) a few month a go :p and they were not even under pressure. Even the best of the best can make mistakes. Howard Webb missed a clear red in the WC final.

The Referee Store
but if you are talking Celtic with no pressure, well in my lifetime a referee of their game has had his house windows panned in, been bloodied open by a flying coin, Celtic were the club responsible for a national strike of Scotlands cat 1 officials, Celtic hired a private investigator to track Jim McCluskey before a forthcoming Old Firm game about 20 years ago, also at Hearts v Celtic 3? years ago a Hearts fan ran into the Celtic technical area and assaulted the Celtic manager

So no, not much pressure there either i guess

Last edited:
I think he tried to play the ball, albeit clumsy at best. I tend to give the offender the benefit of the doubt tbh
I would argue that he had no possibility to though so he can try all he likes its still a red card

There is a specific clause in the VAR that prevents a similar incident. The broadcaster contract is so that all footage is available to VAR.

I think the point was this broadcast footage wasn't available, what they saw the following day were photos taken from behind the goal that prove it, no moving images.

Very clever Italian defending. That unfortunately for the defender doesn't come off. Push in the back and try to cover it with a careless foul in the hope the ref buys it. Fortunately Michael Oliver is a class act and saw the Penalty offence. Great refereeing, and Buffon has no argument whatsoever with his sending off. But clearly emotional he has to say something I suppose...

I probably won't have any friends in school after defending that decision, but anyways great refereeing by OM. Anyway don't see that been given anywhere else in the box. But this was lose-lose situation for Oliver, if he haven't given the penalty he would have been crucified by RM fans and Ronaldo fanboys. And now when he gave the penalty he is been crucified by Juventus fans and pretty much all of neutral viewers.

I probably won't have any friends in school after defending that decision, but anyways great refereeing by OM. Anyway don't see that been given anywhere else in the box. But this was lose-lose situation for Oliver, if he haven't given the penalty he would have been crucified by RM fans and Ronaldo fanboys. And now when he gave the penalty he is been crucified by Juventus fans and pretty much all of neutral viewers.
Tell your friends at school to STFU and to get themselves logged on here for a bit of 'proppa fitba LOGT edukashun!!! :chicken:

I think the point was this broadcast footage wasn't available, what they saw the following day were photos taken from behind the goal that prove it, no moving images.
The footage was always available. The broadcasters chose to cut and edit it to create a sensational story that wasn't there. That is what they do, create interest for viewing. There is actually video footage of it at 4.50. All the cameras angle which show the incident just after the shirt pull were not switched off and suddenly turned back on the moment the shirt pull ended. It was clever editing to make up a story. I don't think when he says "the cameras couldn't see it" is quite accurate. They saw it but chose not to show it. Broadcasters can't do that (hide footage) for a VAR. So if this happens with VAR, the VAR will ask show me the footage in the lead up and they would see the shirt pull.

Clever editing to change a story always happens with a lot of commercial current affair programs and reality TV shows.

Oliver should have punished those Juventus players for either making unauthorised marks or delaying the restart, it was ridiculous. They were just stood in the penalty area for what seemed like ages.

They were waiting for the goalkeeper to get subbed on. It took a few minutes.

It was the 98th min of the champions league quarter final, Oliver had given 8 yellows, given a penalty & just sent of the Juventus goal keeper, his head must have been ready to explode, I think I’ll excuse him for not booking and possibly sending off anymore players.

It was the 98th min of the champions league quarter final, Oliver had given 8 yellows, given a penalty & just sent of the Juventus goal keeper, his head must have been ready to explode, I think I’ll excuse him for not booking and possibly sending off anymore players.

Plus he had already ignored a 2nd YC or red for DOGSO because of the chaos that happened. Can you imagine if he starts booking players for making markings and putting Juve down to 8 or 9 and then PK was missed and it went to extra time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back