A&H

Boston v Rochdale penalty

The Referee Store
I thought the same on first viewing but it's clear from the replay and the reaction of the offender that it is a foul.

Sometimes we referees are guilty of going looking for things rather than seeing what is clearly in front of us.

That is a stonewall penalty.

Classic example of hearing the contact of a stonewaller because you’re close to it, but it looking debatable on camera.

He does lean into the tackle so I can see why there's a bit of "dive instinct" kicking in, but I don't think that takes away from the fact that there is a foul.

Not even a hint of doubt that is a clear penalty. Even if the referee has an inkling of doubt, the reaction of the defender was an absolute giveaway, you don't react like that if someone has just dived for a cup tie winning penalty.

Cheating instinct masked a clear penalty. Shame to see. Shame Boston couldn't get a result as Newcastle were in waiting

Thank you for your replies.

I've watch it many times and i cannot "see contact" between defender and attacker.

Could the attacker have fooled the defender too?

I've read your reply but i am not sure what you mean. Can you explain?
I just thought the kid was intent on cheating, but was fouled anyway. The winner of the tie was drawn to play NUFC at home in the 3rd round. Would've be interesting to see a tier 6 team dining at the top table

I must be missing something as I can't see how that wouldn't be a penalty

Could the attacker have fooled the defender too?

:shifty:

I apologise if I'm out of line, but... rather than doubling down trying to make up a rather ridiculous notion to justify the 'dive' view, I think in the face of nearly everyone saying that it's stonewall, perhaps it is worth stepping back, reflecting and considering that perhaps you might have the wrong view of that decision?

I don't think it's 'stonewall'. The intent to cheat (i have sensitive antenna) may have distracted me from the actual foul
Nonetheless, penalty, move on

These are the discussions that confirm that VAR will never eliminate controversy relating to fouls . . . .

(And I have no opinion on this one as the video won't open for me--not sure if it is firewalls or geography.)

Back